Puppy Driving Me Insane

aussielover

Diesel was on strict crate rest with toilet breaks on lead. The toilet breaks were hard as he tried to run! He had an external fixatur. I did some training games with him so he didn't go completely mental, and he lay on the couch with us to chill. At least it wasn't one of the Kelpies! :laugh:

:eek: Oh man ... Poor you! And yes ... thank goodness it wan't one of the Kelpies. :eek:

Dont worry in a few days she will be all better and able to get rid of all that energy, link got a lil stir crazy on day four but i just kept thinking only a few more days and before you know it they are fine.

we took her on short leash walks in the sun, just laying n the sun seems to tire her hehe

and did lots of training, theres not much else you can do, we also had to build little road blocks around the house to stop the zoomies

:thumbsup:

You have all my sympathy Aussielover.... it sometimes feels as if Nandi is being spiteful.... but I know she is just a puppy wanting to run and play. :wave:

Totally off topic...but Tokkie...your dogs are so so cute!! Love Nandi's scruffy fur!! :cry:

Thanks Nahla + Teddy's Mum.... she is even more scruffy now, I need to strip her coat. :D

Guest belgian.blue

I had Badger desexed today [he weights 25kg] and tonight I'm keeping him very quiet and I'm sure tomorrow he will be back to normal. Though I won't let him run crazy with Ivy just yet but I do plan on taking him on short walks to release his energy.

I walked Ivy when she was done last year. A 20 minute walk around the block on a short lead would be great for Mindy, lots of smells to get her mind working.

All the best, it is never a fun time but in two weeks they are back to normal and you forget how annoying they were :cry:

Thanks Belgian Blue!

Only two more days.

Actually I have started taking her on longer lead walks as I also think the more you coop them up- the more crazy energy they have and the more likely they are to harm themselves. I think i did pretty well in keeping her quiet for 5 days :D she is still not allowed to play with other dogs, but she is allowed to have off lead time if there are no other dogs around

Oh my goodness Aussie Lover, I am feeling your pain. Lucy got desexed on Tuesday - I've got five more days until the stitches come out and the poor girl is beside herself not being able to run around. We were told no walks, nothing. She's tried racing round the backyard and unfortunately developed seroma from her incision. She's now on antibiotics but these next five days will be a test.

My mally was the same when she had her weeks of cage rest after her shoulder operation at about a year old. She was OK the first few days since she was feeling kind of miserable after the operation, then she bounced back and wanted OUT of the box! It was a highly frustrating few weeks for both of us.

I second the shaping idea. There are lots of tricks you can teach with a clicker that aren't very strenuous. Getting that brain working.

Big bones helped get us through it too, those big cannon bones can keep them going for hours, especially if you freeze them first.

And don't worry about feeling frustrated, everyone gets frustrated at times with puppies. So long as you don't take it out on the puppy, it won't hurt. I swear there were times when I just simply had to put my mally puppy in her crate and leave the house for a few hours so I didn't do or say something to her that I would really have regretted! And she has grown up very well adjusted, despite her cranky impatient owner. :rofl:

Took the stitches out tonight YAY!

All looks good, she can have playtime with her friends again tomorrow!

Kongs stuffed with Peanut butter and the ice blocks as Persephone suggested have been a godsend.

I also have been taking her out for a 10 min walk almost every hour which seems to keep her sane but at the same time it is a controlled leash walk so no real risk of damage. Just getting out and about and sniffing stuff really seems help. cooping them up is not great becuase they have so much built up energy that as soon as they are out they're running around like pyschos which is worse than small freqwuent leash walk imo.

I am lucky enough to be able to have her with me all day though.

hehehe, told you there wouldnt be much keeping her quiet :) sounds like you did an awesome job with her though, I would have given up and just let her do what she wanted when she started to go crazy, hope she settles down again now that things are back to normal