Amstaff Being Classed As Pitt Bulls

Mallo

You may be aware, the Supreme Court of Queensland recently ruled that the American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff) and the American Pitbull Terrier (APBT) are to be considered the same breed of dog in QLD.

This judgement is the result of a long running court case involving the misidentification of an unpapered Amstaff as an APBT by the Gold Coast City Council (GCCC). As the APBT is by law a restricted breed, the current context of this judgement allows councils in QLD to also declare the Amstaff a restricted breed in their municipality.

This court case, and the subsequent judgement, has created quite a stir across the country. Follow this link to see a report on the situation by A Current Affair -

PLEASE WATCH THE LINK BELOW

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/half-a...g-fight/xbwn4sa

In handing down the judgement, the Honourable Justice Martin noted that “in this case there is unchallenged evidence as to the identity of the APBT and the Amstaff” and in saying so alluded to the fact that his judgement was made solely on the evidence of the Gold Coast City Council without response from the canine community.

While the result of the court case has set legal precedence in QLD allowing councils to consider Amstaffs a restricted breed, please be aware that this legal precedence currently applies in QLD only. In no other state, territory or municipality outside of QLD is the Amstaff considered a restricted breed. In Victoria there is no change in the legal status of the Amstaff.

Even though the current legal precedence set in QLD is not legally binding interstate, it does carry considerable weight. What is occurring in QLD will no doubt have an effect on other states. Therefore this development is a serious concern for all Amstaff owners and dog lovers in general.

i dont know and it is sad that people are stupid enough to class a staffie as a pitty

we you look at them and they look nothing the same i think as long as we have

pappers i think that we should be ok but we need to get behind people who are fighting

for us and the breed out of their own pocket

yer i found this off the amstaff vic site but i dont think its getting much pub due to it being about "pittbulls"

when its never the dog its the way its brought up anyways thats what i think

This has been sorted, Amstaffs are not considered to pitbulls in QLD are have been deemed a breed in their own right and not restricted in terms of BSL, check out the Dogs QLD website for the media releases from the QLD state government. BSL legislation has been amended and passed as law protecting the amstaff from BSL.

This has been sorted, Amstaffs are not considered to pitbulls in QLD are have been deemed a breed in their own right and not restricted in terms of BSL, check out the Dogs QLD website for the media releases from the QLD state government. BSL legislation has been amended and passed as law protecting the amstaff from BSL.

txs Mel i thought that was right but then i thought it may have been recinded.

this was sorted a while ago here is the thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=201893

OP it might pay to do a search before posting.