How To Stop Pup Barking When Left Alone

pomchi

I spoke to the breeder where i bought link from and asked for any advice she told me that links mum is exactly the same and has had to use a shock collar to stop it.

we are going to try one of those petsafe ultrasonic bark deterrents, the guy said that once she is distracted from barking she might have a chance to focus on other things like her toys whilst we are gone, they are supposed to emit a sound when the dog barks, the reviews are 50/50.

I just hate leaving her like that, it stresses me out worrying about her till i get home. :(

and she stays inside I am reluctant to leave her outside if she barks the neighbours will hear her much more than if she were inside.

Let me guess - Mum was the Pom??

Frankly for the price of one of these, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a consult with a trainer.

Have you considered my suggestion about installing a dog door. Boredom may be a part of the issue but a trainer would be your best bet.

yeah we are going to install a dog door but i am worried about the noise, if the neighbours can hear her from inside, it will be much louder outside, all our courtyards are very close together.

does anyone know of any good trainers/behaviouralists in perth.

we will still try the bark detterent, we will give anything a go.

we tried dap spray and rescue remedy and neither worked :(

And some dogs are just natural barkers, they find it enjoyable.

Not a new puppy who is not used to being alone and feeling anxious I wouldn't think

in the end we got a doggy door installed, because he was outside when the barking was happening, which has fixed the problem all together now. i guess he feels safer and more secure inside.

Yep I shifted my girl from having outdoor access (where she would run out there and sit there and bark for ages as soon as we left!) to being locked indoors and in an instant her anxiety seemed to disappear and now she doesn't care when she leaves, she spends the whole time curled up on her leather couch hehe

we are going to try one of those petsafe ultrasonic bark deterrents, the guy said that once she is distracted from barking she might have a chance to focus on other things like her toys whilst we are gone, they are supposed to emit a sound when the dog barks, the reviews are 50/50.

Frankly for the price of one of these, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a consult with a trainer.

Have you considered my suggestion about installing a dog door. Boredom may be a part of the issue but a trainer would be your best bet.

I agree money on a trainer would be better...

If the barking and crying is from anxiety and fear of you leaving the shock collar isn't going to properly cure it, it could make her anxiety worse even? I'm not totally sure but it doesn't seem right to me to treat it with the shock collar.

Have you tried leaving a worn tshirt or jumper of yours on her bed that smells like you?

And some dogs are just natural barkers, they find it enjoyable.

Not a new puppy who is not used to being alone and feeling anxious I wouldn't think

in the end we got a doggy door installed, because he was outside when the barking was happening, which has fixed the problem all together now. i guess he feels safer and more secure inside.

Yep I shifted my girl from having outdoor access (where she would run out there and sit there and bark for ages as soon as we left!) to being locked indoors and in an instant her anxiety seemed to disappear and now she doesn't care when she leaves, she spends the whole time curled up on her leather couch hehe

I agree money on a trainer would be better...

If the barking and crying is from anxiety and fear of you leaving the shock collar isn't going to properly cure it, it could make her anxiety worse even? I'm not totally sure but it doesn't seem right to me to treat it with the shock collar.

Have you tried leaving a worn tshirt or jumper of yours on her bed that smells like you?

yeah i leave her with a jumper of mine, i dont want to use a shock collar thats why i am looking at the ultrasonic ones, they are the ones that you put on a bench and it emits a warning sound at first bark then an ultrasonic noise if they continue to bark.

but first i might try letting her have run of the lounge whilst we are gone, see if she does any better (fingers crossed)