Dog Toilets On It's Bedding

How hard would it be to house train an almost one year old dog that pees on it's bedding, and how should you go about it?

Thanks, will really appreciate your input!

ETA: It also pee's in submission/fear (not sure which one it is) so that may be the cause, but not sure.

Edited by Lucy's mama

How long has been going on for?

If it has just started could it be a UTI or incontinence issue?

Make sure you clean the bedding, i've heard vinegar works well to eliminate smells etc.

My puppy who hasn't had an accident for 2 months suddenly decided to pee on a rug we put down. She had previously peed on it when she was a baby (which was why we took it away), obviously we didn't get the smell out too well...

Sorry, I actually have no idea, it is not my dog it is the neighbours. They don't want it but a friend of mine is looking for a dog and this one matches their size/coat/good with kids and other dog requirements. But their dogs are allowed inside and this one isn't an inside dog and isn't house trained so it could be an issue.

Aussie - I think it has been going on for awhile, which is why they stopped letting it inside. Banjo used to pee on anything left down when he was a pup but that was because he thought they were puppy pads, and being a puppy we just confined him and took him out often. I think this a different kettle of fish.

Edited by Lucy's mama

It is hard, but it can be done if the person looking at adopting is prepared to do house training 101 consistently with no exceptions when the dog arrives at their place. I'm talking about the kind of house training where you leash the dog to you at all times and monitor it when you are not on a surface where you are happy for them to pee.

To use a bit of jargon, often the problem is that dogs associate a certain substrate (or surface) with safe elimination, and if that is carpet, or bedding, or something indoors as a result of a bad early start it can be very hard work to change. The longer the unwanted behaviour goes on, the more embedded it can get.

However, if the person:

- is prepared to sit outside until the dog goes on grass each and every time and then throw a treat party;

- have the dog on a no excuses roster of going outside after meals, sleep and play; and

- is watchful and has an "eye" for when a dog is about to go they should be able to do it.

Overnight is an issue for these dogs but I would remove all the bedding, get them to eliminate before turning in for the night, and then unless it would be unsafe to do so (ie, very hot weather, medical issue) take up their water until the morning. That sounds harsh, but if you get them a trampoline bed with shadecloth or something similar it need not be. You really have to remove all surfaces they have peed on, give them heaps of opportunity to do the right thing and monitor like crazy until they learn the new rules.

Some breeds pick up fast btw, but I have never been tested house training wise as much as I was with a Saluki that had been raised in a kennel then homed with a family who didn't understand what was necessary to house train. It felt like it took forever.