E-collar Importing From Usa

Hi, I have had a search and it looks like the import ban on e-collars was lifted back in 2009, my sister lives in the US and I was just wanting some clarification, I live in NSW where I believe I would need a vet to say my dog needed or was fit for use with a collar.

But is my sister allowed to bring in one of these units in with her through customs (Sydney Airport)?

I'm probably looking at the Dogtra 7100H, unless someone can suggest a better product.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

I am pretty certain these are illegal in NSW.

Section 16 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 No 200 states it quite clearly:

16 Certain electrical devices not to be used upon animals

(1) In this section:

electrical device means a device of a type prescribed by the regulations.

sell includes:

(a) auction or exchange,

(b) offer, expose, supply or receive for sale, and

© send, forward or deliver for sale or on sale.

(2) A person shall not:

(a) use an electrical device upon an animal,

(b) sell any electrical device, or

© have in his or her possession or custody any electrical device.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(3) Nothing in subsection (2) prevents a person from:

(a) using an electrical device upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species, or

(b) selling or having in his or her possession or custody an electrical device for use upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species.

Schedule 1 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 2006 list the devices that are illegal. They include:

Any other device producing an electrical discharge that is used in such a way that the animal in relation to which it is being used cannot move away from the device

However, I am sure a lot of people still use them in NSW. I am not personally against them. But I wouldn't use them if they are illegal.

Odin-Genie has not quoted the full text of Shedule 1,

Whereas the remote control e-collars are therefore illegal in NSW, the ones used for invisible fence collars are allowed under Schedule 1.

Collars are available that can be used with both a hand-held remote control and buried wire. I am not sure of the legal status of these.

Hi, I have had a search and it looks like the import ban on e-collars was lifted back in 2009, my sister lives in the US and I was just wanting some clarification, I live in NSW where I believe I would need a vet to say my dog needed or was fit for use with a collar.

But is my sister allowed to bring in one of these units in with her through customs (Sydney Airport)?

I'm probably looking at the Dogtra 7100H, unless someone can suggest a better product.

Cheers,

Nathaniel

I am pretty certain these are illegal in NSW.

Section 16 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 No 200 states it quite clearly:

16 Certain electrical devices not to be used upon animals

(1) In this section:

electrical device means a device of a type prescribed by the regulations.

sell includes:

(a) auction or exchange,

(b) offer, expose, supply or receive for sale, and

© send, forward or deliver for sale or on sale.

(2) A person shall not:

(a) use an electrical device upon an animal,

(b) sell any electrical device, or

© have in his or her possession or custody any electrical device.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

(3) Nothing in subsection (2) prevents a person from:

(a) using an electrical device upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species, or

(b) selling or having in his or her possession or custody an electrical device for use upon an animal belonging to a prescribed species.

Schedule 1 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (General) Regulation 2006 list the devices that are illegal. They include:

Any other device producing an electrical discharge that is used in such a way that the animal in relation to which it is being used cannot move away from the device

However, I am sure a lot of people still use them in NSW. I am not personally against them. But I wouldn't use them if they are illegal.

Odin-Genie has not quoted the full text of Shedule 1,

Whereas the remote control e-collars are therefore illegal in NSW, the ones used for invisible fence collars are allowed under Schedule 1.

Collars are available that can be used with both a hand-held remote control and buried wire. I am not sure of the legal status of these.

That's because the rest of Sch 1 is not relevant. Pingg strings etc are ok since they are not attached to the dogs. The dogs can get away. Anything like a collar from which dogs can't get away would be illegal.