Upset Tummy

lilli_star

Last night my 5 1/2 month old Labrador puppy, Ruby, had an upset tummy. I'm not sure why. On Sunday she swam in a dam and ate a dead (caught in a trap, not poisoned) mouse and cow poo, but she was eating normally and seemed to be pooing as normal, albeit a bit more so than usual (I put it down to the mouse), but firm.

Yesterday morning Ruby didn't want to eat her breakfast. This hasn't happened in a few months, and certianly not since I switched to Royal Canin Labrador puppy. I put it outside with her later when I went to work, and it was gone when I came home that afternoon. We went to puppy school where she was pretty much feral- even less attention span than the previous 2 weeks and not interested in the treats I had (BBQ chicken and cabanossi), and only a fleeting interest in the lamb puffs (I think) the trainer gave her. The trainer gave her a pig's ear, and that did settle her down (Ruby has had pigs and deers ears before with no problems). A little while later though, Ruby had semi-diarrhoea (some firm, some not). It was the end of class, so we left. When we got home (about 40 mins later) I gave her a small amount of biscuits (1/2 cup) with a sardine mixed through (which she has each week and loves with no ill-effects), which she ate no problem, then slept for awhile as normal. At 10pm, I took her outside and she had diarrhoea again (not watery, but not firm either) but seemed bright inside playing etc. The same thing happened again later- at around 11:30pm, 12:30am (I think, or maybe that was just a wee) and 1:30am. She had some water in between. This morning she seemed flat and not interested in food (chicken and rice with some plain yoghurt) and I rang my sister who was a vet for some advice. Before I went to work, I got her to eat some chicken and she seemed a bit brighter. This afternoon she was a lot brighter- pretty much back to her normal self, but no sign of poo during the day that I could see. Tonight I gave her a small amount of cooked mashed pumpkin with some chopped up BBQ chicken and she ate the lot. Obviously I won't be going straight back into feeding her the same amount of food as she usually has just yet, but at what stage should I reintroduce biscuits?

I think I read somewhere that you can give Yakult to dogs after they've had upset tummies- is this true? Ruby didn't seem that keen on the rice and yoghurt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I read somewhere that you can give Yakult to dogs after they've had upset tummies- is this true? Ruby didn't seem that keen on the rice and yoghurt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I prefer Inner Health Plus (Dairy Free), it's powder form, no taste, you just sprinkle it over the top of the food.

When our boy has an upset tummy he goes onto rice and chicken or rice and beef mince for a couple of days until it settles down. Skip a meal or two and then feed her small amounts every few hours. I find it better to feed the same thing for a couple of days as it tends to settle quicker than changing the meals frequently. if we do change his food it tends to give him an upset tummy so sticking with the rice/chicken or beef/chicken works for us. It won't hurt for her to fast for 12-24 hours either while it settles down.

You will get to know what to do when they have an upset tummy when it reoccurs. It can be difficult to know what causes it each time.

Thank you for your replies.

Ruby seems much better today. I fed her mashed pumpkin and chicken this morning for breakfast, and then the same tonight with a handful of her biscuits and a little yoghurt. She did her first (normal) poo this morning, so I think she's on the road to recovery :laugh: