Bailey Is Coughing

borderfan

Ok so tonight I noticed Bailey was coughing a bit, at first I thought it was due to all the crazy wind in Sydney but when I brought him inside he kept coughing. Not huge coughing fits but 1 or 2 every 15-20 minutes or so. I checked his mouth to see if he was choking on anything - no. He is still drinking and eating normally and running around like a lunatic.

He was boarded in a kennel for 3 days last week whilst I needed to have some surgery in hospital. He is up to date with all his vaccinations but I'm wondering if it could be kennel cough. What does kennel cough sound like? and would it take this long to show symptoms?? he has been home for 1 week now.

Also can he wait to go to the vets until monday? my normal vet is closed tomorrow but if needed I could probably try one who is open on a sunday

thanks

Canine Cough takes approximately 10 days to incubate before becoming symptomatic, so yes .... it is possible that he contracted it during his kennel stay. Canine Cough generally sounds like a dry; hacking; unproductive cough. You can normally induce the cough by placing pressure (eg from a flat collar) on the throat and/or exercise. This is when the dogs will often cough the most, but not only.

If you are uncertain whether what he has is CC or not, then a visit to the Vet would be suggested. I tend to find however that many Vets will jump straight onto antibiotic medication even though Canine Cough is a virus and the antibiotics will help diddly squat with that. Antibiotics are only required in cases where a secondary infection is likely. It is similar to watching out for anyone who has a cold. They don't always immediately rush off to the Doctor's at the first sign, but do tend to migrate there if things begin to feel very much worse and heading into (eg) chest infection.

So, if it does prove to be Canine Cough, going to the Vet isn't really necessary. Administer some Active Manuka Honey (highest strength possible - at least 15+ but preferably 25+ or more .... it isn't cheap, so be prepared) either from the teaspoon and/or mixed in a small amount of warmish water. The honey will help sooth a sore throat. Mixed with water helps to make sure your dog remains hydrated (important). Watch for signs of sore throat and if there are any, feed mushy food to make it easier and more comfortable to swallow down.

Keep your dog inside and away from drafts. Avoid taking him/her for walks etc. as not only will these tax the system, it will serve only to spread the virus.

ETA: I'm not a Vet.

Edited by Erny

Yes it does only sound like a dry irritating cough, I put my stethescope on him and couldnt hear any wheezes or crackles in his lungs and his respiratory rate isnt elevated either.

where do you buy manuka honey from? can you get it at the supermarket??

if he gets worse it'll definately be off to the vet.

Yes it does only sound like a dry irritating cough, I put my stethescope on him and couldnt hear any wheezes or crackles in his lungs and his respiratory rate isnt elevated either.

Lol ..... I did the same when my boy contracted it as a puppy.

where do you buy manuka honey from? can you get it at the supermarket??

I have only ever been able to find the very low UMF (eg 5+) at the Supermarket - not really worth it. I purchase the higher UMF Manuka Honey at the health food store. There's no harm if you want to give your dog a teaspoon of ordinary honey from your pantry tonight - it just doesn't have the healing, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that the Active Manuka Honey does. But I'm sure your dog will love the treat anyway, and it will probably still help with a tickley throat.

if he gets worse it'll definately be off to the vet.

It might get a bit worse before it gets better. Perhaps a bit off his food. Perhaps a bit lethargic. But if the symptoms persist and/or you're just not sure or alarmed, then yes .... go to the Vet. If the Vet confirms Canine Cough and prescribes antibiotics ask your Vet if there is a secondary infection present for the antibiotics to treat.

Edited by Erny

Also - if you do take him to the vet, advise them beforehand that you think he may have Kennel Cough. Some vets will come out to the car for a possible KC check. I know that mine prefer not to have a KC dog in the surgery waiting room, due to its highly contagious nature.

T.

If you are uncertain whether what he has is CC or not, then a visit to the Vet would be suggested. I tend to find however that many Vets will jump straight onto antibiotic medication even though Canine Cough is a virus and the antibiotics will help diddly squat with that. Antibiotics are only required in cases where a secondary infection is likely. It is similar to watching out for anyone who has a cold. They don't always immediately rush off to the Doctor's at the first sign, but do tend to migrate there if things begin to feel very much worse and heading into (eg) chest infection.

Actually, it depends which strain. Bordetella Bronchiseptica (a common strain and one we vacc against) is bacterial. Parainfluenza is the most commonly seen viral strain.

A good way to think of KC is like Whooping Cough - same family (Bordetella Pertussis) - a bit more serious than just a common cold.

Many cases will go away on their own without AB's - I think the best thing to do is to discuss it with your vet. If you get the KC diagnosis, perhaps suggest to wait it out a few days and see how you go and if things get worse, then come back for AB's. Most vets should dispense them to you a few days later without another visit.

Ok so tonight I noticed Bailey was coughing a bit, at first I thought it was due to all the crazy wind in Sydney but when I brought him inside he kept coughing. Not huge coughing fits but 1 or 2 every 15-20 minutes or so. I checked his mouth to see if he was choking on anything - no. He is still drinking and eating normally and running around like a lunatic.

He was boarded in a kennel for 3 days last week whilst I needed to have some surgery in hospital. He is up to date with all his vaccinations but I'm wondering if it could be kennel cough. What does kennel cough sound like? and would it take this long to show symptoms?? he has been home for 1 week now.

Also can he wait to go to the vets until monday? my normal vet is closed tomorrow but if needed I could probably try one who is open on a sunday

thanks

If he is otherwise healthy and reasonably fit, I would just treat the symptoms and not worry to much about taking him to the vet. My Vet told me many years ago that KC was the equivalent of a human cold and not dangerous unless the dog is very you, very old, or in poor condition.

Actually, it depends which strain. Bordetella Bronchiseptica (a common strain and one we vacc against) is bacterial. Parainfluenza is the most commonly seen viral strain.

A good way to think of KC is like Whooping Cough - same family (Bordetella Pertussis) - a bit more serious than just a common cold.

Many cases will go away on their own without AB's - I think the best thing to do is to discuss it with your vet. If you get the KC diagnosis, perhaps suggest to wait it out a few days and see how you go and if things get worse, then come back for AB's. Most vets should dispense them to you a few days later without another visit.

Thanks Stormie, for clarifying my error. Wish more Vets had attitude such as yours. I'm a bit too used to having Vets throw antibiotics into our dogs just as easily and regularly as they might give a food treat.

Very weird but I havent heard him cough at all today! Although its not windy today either?? he has been doing lots of zoomies and running around and even went for a walk earlier, he's been asleep all the other times and havent heard 1 cough. Do you think it could be related to the wind yesterday or is that a dumb idea? and it maybe still is kennel cough?

It would be unlikely to be heartworm, Borderfan.

Only you know you're dog, but if the cough has been the only symptom (and that's disappeared anyway??) and he's otherwise his normal happy self, I would not panic and I'd keep an eye on it over the next couple of days or so.

I dont think its heartworm I am so vigilant with heartworm, worming, fleas and ticks, vaccinations etc, he probably gets more attention than the kids some days!!

Havent heard any other coughs today or tonight, but will keep an eye on him, thanks so much