Safest Wormer For Pregnant Bitch

blondeborder

We always worm our girls when they come into season and then at 7 weeks pregnant. Most worms life cycle are 21 days so puppies are then wormed at 2 & half weeks - tablet form as they spit out the liquid. Never had an issue, never had a puppy born with or with worms. I think we forget how dangerous worms can be - are sometimes a little blase about it all.

The two big deals for puppies are hook worm and roundworm.

Both of these sit in the bitches uterus and are activated to cross the placenta around 2 to three weeks before the pups are born.

Worming a pregnant bitch is not just no good for her but its a waste of money because the drugs dont kill off the worms in the life stage they are in when you are worming her.You wont kill off the worms in her system, milk nor in the puppies.

Here is the easiest way to answer the question.

Would you take these drugs yourself especially unless you were sure you had worms if you were pregnant?

Buying a microscope and learning what to look for in poo makes more sense to me than worming a pregnant dog - just in case - especially with ivermectin.

Most times I use Fido's Closasole. Which is levamsole and niclosamide - does the job every time for all bar heartworm and hydatids and costs around 5 cents each. I worm the bitch when the pups are a few days old and everything at 2,4,6,8 weeks.

I have ALWAYS wormed bitches as soon as they come in season, then again 1-2wks before they are due to have the puppies. Never had any problems and never had puppies poo out worms. I worm the bitch again once pups are weaned and start worming puppies from 2wks of age. I use Drontal tablets and liquid.

She is just showing signs of coming into heat, LOTS of swelling going on, no drips yet though. Will be worming her today, she was tapewormed a few days ago, and has had advocate for heartworm 2 weeks ago, so is covered there for the moment. Will wait to worm her again until 2 weeks before pups are due. I have revolution for her am tempted to give it to her now, but have just read so many bad things about heartwormers and border collies, She has always been fine with Advocate, but this is new, catch 22 don't want my baby getting heartworm, but I don't think It's common down south, but I don't want to poison her either.....:thumbsup:

Before anyone starts using Ivermectin please take into account that some breeds have a sensitivity to it.

I have some stories which would tell me not to give this to pregnant dogs let alone pregnant dogs of some breeds.

Sorry people I started this by advising you to use Ivermectin. Well actually I didn't advise you to, I said I did.

It was very remiss of me not to say some of the Collie breeds can react to Ivermectin so do not use it unless the dog has been tested.

Worming can depend a lot on where you live and how often you have to worm. It will also depend on the seasons of the year to.

It will also depend if its the dry or rainy season where you live.

What you use is your choice, we all have our favourite brands.

I also forgot to add that the doses that I give my dogs of Ivermectin was was worked out by a vet who breeds so I know it is safe for me to use.

Also it is used by many vets to treat skin conditions in dogs.

As I have also said previously it can be the basis of many Heart Worm/worming monthly treatments.

I have ALWAYS wormed bitches as soon as they come in season, then again 1-2wks before they are due to have the puppies. Never had any problems and never had puppies poo out worms. I worm the bitch again once pups are weaned and start worming puppies from 2wks of age. I use Drontal tablets and liquid.

The puppies that had died of Hookworm were wormed with Drontal liquid. :scared:

There is another thread in "Health & Nutrition" started by Everythings Shiny,called "Anyone finding this with the Drontal Puppy Wormers" page 3 atm.Click on to OP Topics.......worth the read,opened my eyes.