Yummy Kibble For A Slightly Fussy Eater

koalathebear

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the hand feeding was a joke, as you are you going create a hell of a lot more problems by doing that.

I feel sorry for him, he's been raised on raw, then you expect him to eat dry that is made from corn, no wonder he turns his nose up at it.

We use mealtimes for training so he'll get some of the portions in a bowl (that he waits for) and the rest as rewards for various commands/tricks. We also use a tucker ball and muffin tins and other fun ways to get food to try to make it all more interesting. Neither dog gets fed kibble for doing nothing. It's what we did with Elbie and worked well at keeping him occupied and entertained so we're doing the same with Hoover. Brekky there's often less time so it's usually food down, wait, eat but dinner we like to use for training, especially as I work during the day so I usually only have 'dog time' before I leave for work, mealtimes and on the weekends.

As to raw ... well, he'll still get bones and lamb flaps, but his diet will be mostly kibble. Elbie seems fine with it so Hoover will have to adjust, I fear. We're picking up some Royal Canin and Advance to see which he likes better. The breeder was ok with him switching to kibble as long as he still got bones.

ETA: Out of interest, what problems does hand-feeding cause?

The part I've bolded is just not on as far I'm concerned...do the training at another time and let the poor pup eat in peace! Why on earth are you using his meal time to train?! Just because you don't have time during the day does not mean you should use his meal time as a training tool.

Dogs should be left to eat their meal in peace.

Hand feeding can create fussy dogs who will not eat out a bowl etc.

Put the food down, if he doesn't eat it within a reasonable time frame remove it and offer it at the next meal time.

Edited by Aziah

I hope the hand feeding was a joke, as you are you going create a hell of a lot more problems by doing that.

I feel sorry for him, he's been raised on raw, then you expect him to eat dry that is made from corn, no wonder he turns his nose up at it.

We use mealtimes for training so he'll get some of the portions in a bowl (that he waits for) and the rest as rewards for various commands/tricks. We also use a tucker ball and muffin tins and other fun ways to get food to try to make it all more interesting. Neither dog gets fed kibble for doing nothing. It's what we did with Elbie and worked well at keeping him occupied and entertained so we're doing the same with Hoover. Brekky there's often less time so it's usually food down, wait, eat but dinner we like to use for training, especially as I work during the day so I usually only have 'dog time' before I leave for work, mealtimes and on the weekends.

As to raw ... well, he'll still get bones and lamb flaps, but his diet will be mostly kibble. Elbie seems fine with it so Hoover will have to adjust, I fear. We're picking up some Royal Canin and Advance to see which he likes better. The breeder was ok with him switching to kibble as long as he still got bones.

ETA: Out of interest, what problems does hand-feeding cause?

The part I've bolded is just not on as far I'm concerned...do the training at another time and let the poor pup eat in peace! Why on earth are you using his meal time to train?! Just because you don't have time during the day does not mean you should use his meal time as a training tool.

Dogs should be left to eat their meal in peace.

Hand feeding can create fussy dogs who will not eat out a bowl etc.

Put the food down, if he doesn't eat it within a reasonable time frame remove it and offer it at the next meal time.

Totally agree with this. My dogs have all ways been taught to sit and wait for their food each morning or night, but that is it I dont mess with their food I just let them eat. I keep proper training completely seperate.

Hrmmm... my dogs get their brekkie in the form of some training on their walks, some training in the house, some scattered kibble for them to find and in Kongs, depending on time and whim of the morning. No bowls.

They get their dinner in a bowl most nights but not all -- if they've been to obedience training that night they don't get dinner as they get enough at training.

Opinions?

Edit: Sorry to continue the hijack KTB :wave:

Edited by wuffles

If you're using their regular kibble for training purposes then I can't see the difference personally. All that has to come out of their daily allowance. Is there a certain portion of their food that should be fed in a bowl as a 'meal'?

Hrmmm... my dogs get their brekkie in the form of some training on their walks, some training in the house, some scattered kibble for them to find and in Kongs, depending on time and whim of the morning. No bowls.

They get their dinner in a bowl most nights but not all -- if they've been to obedience training that night they don't get dinner as they get enough at training.

Opinions?

Edit: Sorry to continue the hijack KTB :wave:

My opinion? Breakfast how you give it is fine, most nights they get their dinner in a bowl if they've been out training they don't get it because you've already fed them enough.

Sounds fine...it's the training AT meal time where the meal is served then people stuff about with it that I don't agree with. Every dog should eat theirof their main meal in peace without having to be trained or do tricks for it.

If you're using their regular kibble for training purposes then I can't see the difference personally. All that has to come out of their daily allowance. Is there a certain portion of their food that should be fed in a bowl as a 'meal'?

I can't see that anyone should use so many training treats that their dog doesn't get a solid meal at night (or in the moring - or whenever you feed the main meal). and at that main meal time I do not believe one should be training or trick teaching!

Each to their own I just believe that the dog should get their meal and be able to eat that meal in peace.

I can't see that anyone should use so many training treats that their dog doesn't get a solid meal at night (or in the moring - or whenever you feed the main meal). and at that main meal time I do not believe one should be training or trick teaching!

Each to their own I just believe that the dog should get their meal and be able to eat that meal in peace.

I am just curious as to why? What would be the benefit in feeding that way? Just curious! It's something I've never really thought about before

Ah I think I see a point of confusion.

I don't think people are putting down a bowl full of food - then using that same food to do training - ie from the bowl.

There's also certain things that I don't touch when the dog is eating - ie chicken necks/carcasses/lamb 'flaps'. I'm even careful not to look him in the eye then. I don't know why, I just got a feeling he didn't like being watched!

Opinions?

Edit: Sorry to continue the hijack KTB ;)

My dogs also get treats on walks, at shows, when training, or in kongs or just scarttered thru their crate BUT at dinner time or breaky time they get their bowl with their food. The only time i dont give them a bowl is when they have bones.

I dont agree with hand feeding a dog and making a dog work overtime for every peice of food. (a simple sit stay wait for a whole bowl of food is enough I think)

On the actual topic of dry most my dogs bar one will eat anything and the one who is fussy gets ever so excited over cheapo foods :wave: So i get abit sneaky with her and mix her woofy bixs chum or pal dry with her proplan :) truth be told thou, my guys dont get a great deal of dry...I mix it up with bones(of alll types plus gross things like liver and heart and stuff ewww), mackeral, eggs, doggy fried rice that I make that they LOOOVE they basically get abit of EVERYTHING! Stops them being fussy, most of the time!

I wasn't going to debate this issue because that's not what this thread is about, but if it's ok to do training from breakfast food as long as you have dinner largely interrupted and from a bowl - why is the reverse wrong? As mentioned, breakfast for our dogs is basically given to them so long as they wait/forage etc. It's dinner-time where we use their meal portion to teach tricks.

OK, not saying anymore :wave:

I am just curious as to why? What would be the benefit in feeding that way? Just curious! It's something I've never really thought about before

The dog gets to eat his meal in peace, can enjoy it, shouldn't have to work for it, other training times are when you receive a reawrd for your work.

I wasn't going to debate this issue because that's not what this thread is about, but if it's ok to do training from breakfast food as long as you have dinner largely interrupted and from a bowl - why is the reverse wrong? As mentioned, breakfast for our dogs is basically given to them so long as they wait/forage etc. It's dinner-time where we use their meal portion to teach tricks.

OK, not saying anymore ;)

:wave: no need to :)

I apologise, I hadn't read that you feed an uninterrupted meal in the morning.

Might have to give RC a go - though I can't find any pictures of the kibble. From the information on the website I'd go for medium-junior.

Sorry, I can't remember what size the medium junior kibble is :wave: You can probably feel it in the bag though if you go to the shop. The medium adult kibble is quite large.

We've got RC Medium Junior and they are smaller pieces, will put something next to it to compare. I'll post a pic when I get home ;)

My girl only gets 3/4 cup of kibble at dinner time so it doesn't take much training to use that much! I also use food containers to send her to get rewards so that uses up the kibble allowance pretty fast during training.

Anyway, interesting. Thanks.

My girl only gets 3/4 cup of kibble at dinner time so it doesn't take much training to use that much! I also use food containers to send her to get rewards so that uses up the kibble allowance pretty fast during training.

Anyway, interesting. Thanks.

I guess if the kibble is large and not tiny little bits then it wouldn't last long at all :wave:

I was always told to use something different and of higher value for training any how, is that not the way any more? (thats a genuine question I havent been to an actuakl obedience class in 2 years) I train with cheese or cut up sausage or anything other than what they normally get.

I was always told to use something different and of higher value for training any how, is that not the way any more? (thats a genuine question I havent been to an actuakl obedience class in 2 years) I train with cheese or cut up sausage or anything other than what they normally get.

Me too :wave: