Rapid Breathing

Lollipup

I'm going to go to the vet about this but in the mean time would like to know if anyone has experienced this? I have a male 6 month old border collie named Chester. Ever since we brought him home at 8 weeks old o have noticed he seems to breathe more rapidly and drink more water than any other dog I have owned. I have only owned smaller and less hairy dogs in the past though. He is active, eats well and his heart rate seems to be fine. He was desexed four weeks ago and the vet didn't seem to notice anything unusual and I didn't think to ask about it at that time but now I am concerned. Of course he pants when he has been active or hot bit when he is resting and sleeping he is breathing very fast. I thought it might be the heat but now I'm not sure. He was born in a colder climate than where we are so since we got him, everything has been hotter. Has anyone experienced this in young dogs? Because I know it can mean serious conditions but I'm hoping it could also be something harmless. I will of course be to the vet either way. We're currently away at the inlaws or the weekend and both the dogs are with us and are having a ball but I can't get to a vet until next week. Thanks all. I really hope I'm stressing over nothing like I usually do.

My youngest BC was like that for ages. I don't remember what age it reduced but I remember we always used to comment on it. The other dogs would be laying quietly and she would be panting hard. The vet was never worried about it and she is as fit and helathy as can be. Jazz has always been very active though and it is more than just active, she puts 120% into everything she does, she aslways seems to put more energy into things than the job requires. I guess at some point she learnt to regulate it or developed the fitness so it wasn't as obvious.

If in doubt, definitely get it checked but it could just be that he plays so hard :rofl:

(ps: don't forget to visit the BC thread and share piccies)

My youngest BC was like that for ages. I don't remember what age it reduced but I remember we always used to comment on it. The other dogs would be laying quietly and she would be panting hard. The vet was never worried about it and she is as fit and helathy as can be. Jazz has always been very active though and it is more than just active, she puts 120% into everything she does, she aslways seems to put more energy into things than the job requires. I guess at some point she learnt to regulate it or developed the fitness so it wasn't as obvious.

If in doubt, definitely get it checked but it could just be that he plays so hard :scared:

(ps: don't forget to visit the BC thread and share piccies)

Thank you. I hope it's just the same thing then!

Our Kelpie's resp rate is definately higher than our other dogs when sleeping, and just as she is falling asleep too.

She's not panting, but definately has a higher resp rate.

It's the resp effort you need to be watchful about.

take her in for a once over if you are concerned.

Different breed and different sizes of dogs all have different ranges of :narmal' for resp rates and heart rates, so it's a matter of getting familiar with YOUR dogs normal ranges. but I always reccommend a trip to the vet if you are concerned.

Bets case scenario you are paying a consult fee for peace of mind :thumbsup: