Border Collie Red Genetics

blondeborder

just out of interest are you a registered breeder ?

No. I live on a farm, my dog is not from a registered breeder as with most border collies who live the farm life! She's beaut at rounding up sheep, but I don't think she'd be interested in the show ring!

From a working perspective. Most farmers don't like the light coloured dogs as they don't believe the sheep have as much respect for them so if you are breeding just for work I would be breeding away from the red, especially a pale red. I know they can still work but mostly white and pale colours are not prefered from a work point of view. With unregistered dogs you could have any colours lurking so apart from what I wrote earlier about percentages, anything is possible.

If you are breeding Border Collies, registered or not, keep in mind that your girl and her mate should at the very least be DNA tested for the two hereditary fatal conditions, CL and TNS to avoid possible legal problems later. It is law in Vic but no matter what state, if you breed an affected dog, now testing is available to prevent it, you could be sued. The testing is available at Uni of NSW. At least one parent must be DNA normal for each condition to avoid breeding puppies that could die between 2-8 months for TNS and 18-24 months for CL. The only cases that now occur in Australia are from unregistered Borders because the breeders don't bother to test like the registered ones do. The genes for both CL and TNS are throughout the breed and it doesn't matter if they are show or work lines, the risk is the same if you don't test to make sure you are not putting two carriers together.

how curious. colour wise i mean, at a sheep dog trial the winner was a almost pure white border bit of a wonder the sheep could see him let alone let him work them then?

• 2 months later...
Hi, I have a litter planned with my red (blonde) border collie. The father is black and white but had 2 red pups in his litter. Gypsy ( my girl ) was the only red pup from black and white parents. As I understant the male has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier of the e gene. And Gypsy is ee. So... if he is a carrier does that give a 50/50 chance of reds? Always seems to be less in the llitters I've seen in real life. Any more info is appreciated. :heart:

OK so we did well with our odds.... 5 reds and 4 black and white, 5 boys and 4 girls. Dad was a carrier:)

Hi, I have a litter planned with my red (blonde) border collie. The father is black and white but had 2 red pups in his litter. Gypsy ( my girl ) was the only red pup from black and white parents. As I understant the male has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier of the e gene. And Gypsy is ee. So... if he is a carrier does that give a 50/50 chance of reds? Always seems to be less in the llitters I've seen in real life. Any more info is appreciated. :thumbsup:

OK so we did well with our odds.... 5 reds and 4 black and white, 5 boys and 4 girls. Dad was a carrier:)

Glad they arrived safely and I hope you did the responsible thing and got a DNA clearance for at least one parent for both CL and TNS.