Jobs With Dogs

Evening all...

I'm rather new to this forum, stumbling across it by accident when searching for various dog training courses.

My query is directed to those currently working withing the field of canine training, handling and behavioural management. Whilst I crave knowledge and a deep understanding of the psychology of dogs, and dream of one day being in a position to be able to rescue "problem" dogs, I want to know - is there a real possibility of earning a living in this field, or is it nothing short of a pipe dream? If so, following completion of the NDTF cert III, where do I go from there?

Any advice from anyone with a knowledge of the industry would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cosmolo

I currently work as a nurse, and have done for the past 5 years - so I've been exposed at a vast range of people, their personalities and quirks, and am pretty good at dealing with people, especially during emotional times. However, I realise whilst I am good at my job, it is not a passion - and if I continue for any length of time chances are, I'll end up bitter and twisted or just like the multitude of dementia patients I've looked after during in my time. Such a realisation forced me to re-evaluate what I want in life, and where my passions lie. Whilst training my latest addition to our family, it became apparent to me that dog have always held a very special place in my life, the joy I get out of training them and watching their personalities develop is unsurpassed by anything else in my life.

Have you got any advice on where to start, how to gain any experience beyond the official training courses? To be able to establish a training school for not only dog owners, but also create a facility to help so called problem dogs is my end goal.

Thanks again

I suggest get yourself out there and volunteer with a trainer if possible. Look at the trainers and training clubs in your area, or that you would be willing to travel to.

I have just moved from Adelaide to Brisbane to volunteer and learn from a friend who is the head trainer of a popular Positive Reinforcement training school here in Brisbane.

I would just ring trainers ask about their classes, and just say you are interested in volunteering to back up your studies. Ask if you can meet with them after a class so you can see them in action and talk in person.

Be willing to do anything from sitting and watching to providing the poop bags if needed or fetching equipment, relaying messages to other trainers, filling water bowls for the dogs etc. Basically, as I said to my friend- ''I'm your B#&ch- your slave'' :laugh: .

Also, be aware that trainers get a lot of calls and emails from people ranging in ages wanting to volunteer or wanting career advice. Not everyone follows through, so if you do want to volunteer treat it like a paying job and be grateful for the opportunity.

Volunteering for me has been the best thing I have done. Although I have been reading and buying the books on training and behaviour/ body language etc, and have spoken online and over the phone on a daily basis about dogs dogs dogs and oh yeah...dogs-- what you will learn from watching a Good trainer'' is invaluable.

Lastly perhaps look into volunteering at shelters/ rescues to give you more exposure to different dogs.

Good Luck-- I hope you find a great trainer to learn from like I did

Just be VERY careful if you do find any sorts of work in a shelter/rescue as there is very strict guidelines you have to do to protect your own dogs. You will have to have a change of shoes & clothes & hygeine is very important as you can very easily pass on deseases to them. Do all this before you go into your own house. Best of luck to you. :)

I would think long and hard before I invested a lot of money or time into a dog related profession dealing with dog training, care or the like.

Dog ownership is declining and will rapidly decline over the next 10 years. There is tremendous effort being placed on ending dog ownership across Australia right now. Pet dogs are going to become more and more scarce as fewer and fewer people can access them.

However you might want to look at getting involved in one of the many areas surrounding Animal (dog) rights activism in Australia. Over the next 10-20 years there will lots of activity in that area.

Example of jobs would be:

Shire or RSPCA companion dog breeder inspectors, these will be in great demand.

Litigators for matters dealing with actions taken against dog owners and breeders by shires and the RSPCA.

Expert witness in abuse cases, either for or against the dog owners.

Ethics counselors working with those who are euthanizing all the pet dogs seized.

There are lots of people here on DOL who are animal rights activist and can lead you to these sorts of exciting and meaningful jobs in the field of animal rights activism.

Best of luck.

My query is directed to those currently working withing the field of canine training, handling and behavioural management. Whilst I crave knowledge and a deep understanding of the psychology of dogs, and dream of one day being in a position to be able to rescue "problem" dogs, I want to know - is there a real possibility of earning a living in this field, or is it nothing short of a pipe dream?

Was working in that field till earlier this year.

It is a dream.

Problem dogs are not very lucrative. People tend to want to be rid of them and many of them are dangerous. Nobody will pay you to rescue a problem dog, and chances are its problems are not easily fixable anyway.

But there is nothing to stop you rescuing a problem dog and taking it home yourself and fixing it. But that won't earn you a living.