What Weight Should A Labrador Retreiver Be

Jodielass

My lab weighed 32.9 kg I was told to get some weight off by everyone so i did she now weighs 28.4Now every one thinks she look great except for Labrador people that think she is too thin

I also plan to breed with her next year

What do you think?

It depends on the build of the dog and the sex.

IMO most labs are overweight.

ETA if you post a picture it would help people to determine if she was overweight or not

Edited by Janba

• 2 weeks later...

IMO the actual weight is not as important as that fact that she has;

a defined waist line

you can feel her ribs without feeling a layer of fat

that no bones are visible

This should be what a Labrador is correct weight should be.

IMO the actual weight is not as important as that fact that she has;

a defined waist line

you can feel her ribs without feeling a layer of fat

that no bones are visible

This should be what a Labrador is correct weight should be.

I think there is different standard between breeders who show to breeders who do obedience. What do you think?

I reason i am asking you is because the Labrador people who do showing are giving me a hard time on my girls weight. My breeder is saying that my girl is too thin and that if i breed with her i will trouble with breeding because of her weight. The last weight i have for her is 28.8kg.She was 32.9 and i was told my vets ,vet nurses, dog school people that she lose weight so I took off 4 kg and now everybody is telling me she look fantastic including DR Chris Brown from Bondi Vet channel 10 and couple of .Vet nurses too

I entered in a show and the Judge likes them heavy too

I have tried to find out what the breed average in Labradors weight with no success The Labrador club does not know I have asked Dogs Victoria and told to ask the Labrador club.

In America the breed average is 55-70 pounds so in kg she is in the middle of that range. I have tried to get England 's breed average bet they did not reply

You will find a lot of difference in opinion on Labradors weight. It is a fine line and provided the animal is not obviously overweight there is no real cause for concern in a pet.

However if the dog is a Show Dog I've noticed that there is an "all important layer of fat", not overweight , but there I would imagine to 'Show', that this animal is bred to be a water dog and it has that layer of fat to protect it from the cold icy waters in which it would be retrieving say, ducks and other water fowl.