Best State For Showing Dogs?

shazlm64

WA facilities by a mile and NSW for the variety and centralness to Vic and QLD. WA and Tas and to a lesser extent SA, if someone in your breed has a dog or dogs that dominate there is no escaping - 1 show on any given weekend. Whereas in NSW and Vic you can go show elsewhere if you choose, some enter both options and see who is entered - we saw in NSW someone turn up look who was there and get in there car and go to the other show !! lol

Best grounds in Tassie - IMO Ulverstone once the toilets get a revamp and love the after Royal Show at New Norfolk.

Justine

Yes Ulverstone is great grounds and the beach is close by :cry:

WA facilities by a mile and NSW for the variety and centralness to Vic and QLD. WA and Tas and to a lesser extent SA, if someone in your breed has a dog or dogs that dominate there is no escaping - 1 show on any given weekend. Whereas in NSW and Vic you can go show elsewhere if you choose, some enter both options and see who is entered - we saw in NSW someone turn up look who was there and get in there car and go to the other show !! lol

Justine

I have to agree with this quote.

I have shown at most grounds around Australia, but still find the best grounds at home in WA by far the best.

PS I loved Tassie when I visited early this year :rofl:

Edited by Labs

If you want to compete with some real numbers, try the UK - champ shows of several thousand entries and then there is Crufts!

Would love to for sure, but not when the dogs have to go into quarantine for a month on the way home - not just for a dogshow.

Justine

After reading these replies I'm quite keen to show in some of the other states, especially Vic if its facilities can match us here in WA. What about Tasmania it's so beautiful down there. Any Tasmanians out there who would like to comment on their show scene?

In terms of bang for buck, one of the 'show circuits' might be your best bet. Lots of shows in shorter periods of time. Not necessarily the greatest facilities but linked to a big weekend or the right specialty in one of the big smokes it might be the go.

For example, Sydney Royal is surrounded by specialites and shows in Canberra - just 2.5 hours down the road. I'd say March/April or September/October are the height of the show season in NSW/ACT

Edited by poodlefan

In terms of bang for buck, one of the 'show circuits' might be your best bet. Lots of shows in shorter periods of time. Not necessarily the greatest facilities but linked to a big weekend or the right specialty in one of the big smokes it might be the go.

You can get bang for buck in Tassie in October.

Season starts at Burnie, first weekend, Launceston Royal the week after, usually followed by an All Breeds Show on the Sunday. Longford Ag the following Saturday, usually followed by an All Breeds Show on the Sunday. Hobart Royal the week after that, with Dogfest (as mentioned above) on the Sunday. Then depending upon the dates these shows fall in October, close to the last weekend of the month are back to back shows at Ulverstone.

Usually thrown in the mix too are Breed and/or Group Specialty Shows around the Launceston, Longford and Hobart Royal shows.