Importing A Dog Into New Zealand From Italy

kemah

Hi! My name is Kema, I am 21yrs old and live in New Zealand.

Im looking for any first hand information anyone can give me in regards to Importing a dog from Italy (or any country outside of Aust and N.Z) into New Zealand (or Australia)

I own a Neopolitan Mastiff (7months old) registered with the NZKC (as well as 2 Rottweilers) and I am seriously considering importing another Neopolitan playmate for him from Italy and later next year my partner would like to import another Neo from Australia. We are not interested in breeding them! I just love how beautiful Neo's are :laugh: as I live in New Zealand finding a breeder with dogs who fit what I'm looking for is nearly impossible. Now that we have moved onto a large lifestyle block and are in a financial position that allows for a few more luxuries- Id love to expand my little dog family! :nahnah: If anyone has their own story they would like to share I'd love to hear about it! I've already sorted out the customs/immigration side of things etc and have talked to the breeder I got my boy from (he told me to ask my question here as he and everyone he could think of couldn't help)

Pls note: I am not a breeder and have no intention of breeding (my dogs have all been de-sexed) I am just wanting to talk to someone who has Import experience :rofl: I am a HUUUUUGE fan of Rottweilers and Neo's however and would love a new addition to our family...

wow a Neo would cost quite big bucks to get from Italy! (dont forget quarrentine as well)

Youd be much better off importing from Australia, ie wont cost the earth in freight and little or no quarrentine?

(idea of price, inc quarrentine for a SMALL dog between $5000 -$7000)

Edited by Missymoo

If your not looking at bringing in new lines and thins dog would just be a pet importing from Italy would be a bit of a waste IMO.

Unless you have a lot of money to burn you would be best of getting onr from Australia, the dog could come over at a younger age, no need for quaretine and it would be vastly cheaper.

From Italy, the dog would need to be at least 9 months old, & it has to do a month quarantine:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/imports/ani...omaniic.spe.htm

From Aussie, the pup can fly at 10 or 12 weeks old (can't remember which!) and doesn't do quarantine at all:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/imports/ani...omaniic.aus.htm

Plus, far cheaper!

:laugh:

Thanks! Yes....at the moment the cost is upwards of 12k but my partner and I are in a financial position to do this. One of my concerns is the actual shipping process?? The time the pup would be in transit.... oh, if I was to leave the dog I import intact (he will come with an import pedigree certificate) would breeders be interested in "using" him (like a stud dog?? im not sure if thats what you call them :laugh: ) ADDITION: We can definitely afford to do this....i'm more concerned about the puppy being in transit for so long?? do quarantine facilities take good care of the animals there??

Edited by kemah

oh, if I was to leave the dog I import intact (he will come with an import pedigree certificate) would breeders be interested in "using" him (like a stud dog?? im not sure if thats what you call them :laugh: )

Possibly, but you'd need to do all the health testing your breed requires first. I'd ask the breeder of your current Neo for the details of what you'd need to do. I'd imagine hips & elbows as a minimum for a giant breed, but there are probably additional tests & requirements that the ethical breeders will want. :nahnah:

Yup! i will definitely be checking that all tests necessary are taken out including checking genetics...as i have done for my other dogs.... Ive chosen an Italian breeder who i have been able to check is legitimate etc :laugh: and ive been stalking dog shows for Neo's and asking the owners about them lol so i have a good idea of what im looking for (and ive been memorizing the breed standard and things :nahnah: )

Edited by kemah