Diatomaceous Earth

Does anyone have any experience of using diatomaceous earth for flea control in yards?

After my recent frontline thread I have done a bit more digging around and have realised that since our garden is mostly sand, it's a great breeding place for fleas! I'm not too keen on spraying the whole place with chemicals, so wondered if anyone has actually used DE to help get fleas under control outside? I'm thinking of putting it in areas where I know our cat is sleeping, behind the garage etc.

I was just reading up on this. I haven't tried it but came here just now to find out the same thing.

I have been using front line and it doesn't work anymore... :D My poor doggy is itchy. Off to search for other ways to get rid of fleas, they are driving me nuts (and her no doubt).

I have tried it and it doesn't work.

However, lemon-scented tea-tree oil did kind of slightly work. If I had the room, I'd plant one in our yard. Apparenly Pennyroyal and Fleabane are also strong repellants, but they are also not all that safe around dogs. Lemon-scented tea-trea is safe around dogs as far as I was able to figure out, although my girl hated the smell of it.

Our infestation was not under control until Comfortis came out. We are now flea free and have been for about 9 months just with Comfortis alone.

I'm not sure what type of sand is under and over our artificial turf but between the two of them - no more fleas. We do sanitize the area every few months and because it's artificial we can also flea treat the environment rather than the dogs. Food Grade diatomaceous earth can be used to control intestinal worms which use host enzymes to "hide" from the host immune system. It scratches the enzyme cover from the worm and makes it "visible" to the immune system. There is a lot more to it than just feeding diatomaceous earth though.