Old Girl Not Eating

kazads

I am hoping some of you may be able to help with suggestions.

We have a 12 year old Rotty x Doberman who suffers from arthritis and hip dysplaxia. We have seen her slowly decline this year in particular and realistically would be surprised if she is still with us this upcoming winter. We have just started to notice that she is not eating much at all - perhaps a couple of mouth fulls of food a day, and this morning she vomited up white frothy stuff. She is not terribly active as she is an invalid of sorts, but she always seemed to have a good appetite.

This loss of interest in food started a few weeks ago I would say. She has limited bowel movements as a result.

Does anyone know what we could do to assist her with eating, or is it all a sign of old age?

Thanks

Karen

if she's declining get her a vet check up to make sure nothing else is wrong

meanwhile make her a soup of boiled up meat bones, vegetables, rice and some meat (take out all the cooked bones before giving it to her warm) Make sure it's sloppy and warm. A dash of soy sauce to the pot can make it appetising to her.

I'd be taking her to see the vet.

Older dogs lose their senses to some degree. You may have to tempt her with really tasty foods. I know a friend of mine's old girl would eat nothing happily except My Dog in her last weeks. My friend threw her raw feeding principles out the window and gave her dog what she enjoyed.

What are you feeding her now?

I hate to say it but it might be time to start preparing to say goodbye. Loss of appetite may also signal the development of some sort of health condition.

Edited by poodlefan

I am hoping some of you may be able to help with suggestions.

We have a 12 year old Rotty x Doberman who suffers from arthritis and hip dysplaxia. We have seen her slowly decline this year in particular and realistically would be surprised if she is still with us this upcoming winter. We have just started to notice that she is not eating much at all - perhaps a couple of mouth fulls of food a day, and this morning she vomited up white frothy stuff. She is not terribly active as she is an invalid of sorts, but she always seemed to have a good appetite.

This loss of interest in food started a few weeks ago I would say. She has limited bowel movements as a result.

Does anyone know what we could do to assist her with eating, or is it all a sign of old age?

Thanks

Karen

Karen,

Dogs can be incredibly stoic so it is hard to say what is going on. The lack of appetite and the white frothy vomit can be signs of pancreatitis.

If it is pancreatitis, forcing her to eat more will make it worse.

I would get her checked out by a vet.

Thanks everyone - I will see how she goes tonight and then make an arrangement to get her to the vets. I will try her on some other food and see how she goes. She has always been incredibly healthy aside from her obvious issues, and she has survived a lot longer given her ailments then we ever thought she would. So I guess you don't like to think that she might have a serious problem or is in a permanent decline.

At the moment we are feeding her lamb bones, good kibble and either minced chicken frames, or minced up beef/ offal. She loves chicken necks, so I might see if she will have some of them tonight.

I wil let you know how we go, and thanks again. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone - I will see how she goes tonight and then make an arrangement to get her to the vets. I will try her on some other food and see how she goes. She has always been incredibly healthy aside from her obvious issues, and she has survived a lot longer given her ailments then we ever thought she would. So I guess you don't like to think that she might have a serious problem or is in a permanent decline.

At the moment we are feeding her lamb bones, good kibble and either minced chicken frames, or minced up beef/ offal. She loves chicken necks, so I might see if she will have some of them tonight.

I wil let you know how we go, and thanks again. :laugh:

sounds a bit like one of my standards a couple of years ago, unfortunately she had cancer in her spleen and pancreas and I kept her while she ate a bit but when obvious she was going downhill I put her down so she did not suffer.She was nearly 15.

So chicken necks, her fave, were a no go and she vomited twice last night - clear and frothy. So will be ringing the vets this morning and off to see them with her tonight.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I got a tick off her a couple of days ago - I think I got it all but will get the vet to check anyway. Her vomiting may be due to the tick, but it doesn't really explain her reduced eating habits over the last few weeks though.

I will be a worried mum today :D

Gentle hugs kazads.

The clear stuff might also be from heart issues. Fluid starts to build up.

I ended up letting my old girl eat whatever. She had tinned food near the end and the day she wouldn't eat a tin of MyDog I knew it was time. She stopped eating kibble first but would still eat her chicken necks.

Gentle hugs kazads.

The clear stuff might also be from heart issues. Fluid starts to build up.

I ended up letting my old girl eat whatever. She had tinned food near the end and the day she wouldn't eat a tin of MyDog I knew it was time. She stopped eating kibble first but would still eat her chicken necks.

Thanks JulesP. She managed to eat two chicken necks a moment ago which is good. No vomit thus far. Will see what the vets say tonight. :D

Cali had to have a blood test and results will be in tomorrow night. But now, my little boxer might have skin cancer and she has to go to the vets herself tomorrow for a biopsy.

What a terrible couple of days - actually, this year has been crap!

Well, old girl has high white blood cells, with high liver and enzyme activity. Vets don't know what is wrong - Full pathologic report will be available tomorrow and we will go from there.

My little Bella has a fungal skin infection (the vet thinks) so will know if treatment if working in a week.

Thanks for all the well wishes

Karen