Florinef - What's The Most Economical Way To Buy It?

One of our 3yo lab girls was recently diagnosed with Addison's Disease and she is on Florinef twice daily for life now as a result.

Our vet bill arrived today. The cost of the Florinef is $44 for 100 x 1mg tablets from my vet. That seems fairly expensive and since Candy gets 4 a day, 100 tablets only last 25 days!

Given that she's on this medication for life, I'd like to find a more cost effective way to buy them if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance,

w2s

Your vet might be willing to give you a prescription to purchase Florinef from a human pharmacy, it is up to their own policies and procedures.

Just keep in mind that you will still need to have regular check ups and blood tests to make sure everything is in order.

Florinef costs me $28.95 for 200 x 100mcg (0.1mg) tablets for a human prescription. I use it myself, not for a dog but it's sure cheaper from a Dr. Might be worth asking.

1mg is a lot though... are you sure they aren't 0.1mg tablets?

Edited by ravenau1

Florinef costs me $28.95 for 200 x 100mcg (0.1mg) tablets for a human prescription. I use it myself, not for a dog but it's sure cheaper from a Dr. Might be worth asking.

1mg is a lot though... are you sure they aren't 0.1mg tablets?

Thanks Ravenau1,

You're quite right. They definitely are 0.1mg...I realised that after I had put up my post. :thumbsup: That decimal point sure is hard to see! :)

I will speak to my vet and see if I can purchase them some other way. You are paying a quarter of what I am...someone is definitely making a killing off me! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice.

Rappie, I will certainly keep up with the testing as it's required. That's a given. Our girl is currently being weaned off Prednisilone and all going well so far. Fingers crossed. :D

w2s

I thought that might be the case woody2shoes! If you were getting 100 1mg tablets from your vet I was going to start getting my meds from my vet! lol.

I think the difference in price is because the Florinef from the Dr/pharmacy for human use is subsidised by the PBS, where vet meds aren't. The $44 is probably the full price.

I hope it all goes well for your lab and she responds to the treatment well :laugh: I find it interesting that she and I are on exactly the same dose, but for different problems.

I thought that might be the case woody2shoes! If you were getting 100 1mg tablets from your vet I was going to start getting my meds from my vet! lol.

I think the difference in price is because the Florinef from the Dr/pharmacy for human use is subsidised by the PBS, where vet meds aren't. The $44 is probably the full price.

I hope it all goes well for your lab and she responds to the treatment well :) I find it interesting that she and I are on exactly the same dose, but for different problems.

Thanks Ravenau1,

I also looked up the list of PBS medicines and there it was! I am sure my vet is still putting a 100% markup on them all the same, going by the dispensed price on the list which is $46.50 for 200 tablets - PBS price to consumer, $33.30 for 200 tablets (so you are getting a very good deal!). I will be pursuing it further in any case. I have nothing to lose. :laugh:

Candy is doing brilliantly thanks. I hope you are! It is interesting that the dosage is so similar for you both! Maybe you weigh 23kg too??????? :)

w2s

I hope it all goes well for your lab and she responds to the treatment well :rofl: I find it interesting that she and I are on exactly the same dose, but for different problems.

Thanks Ravenau1,

I also looked up the list of PBS medicines and there it was! I am sure my vet is still putting a 100% markup on them all the same, going by the dispensed price on the list which is $46.50 for 200 tablets - PBS price to consumer, $33.30 for 200 tablets (so you are getting a very good deal!). I will be pursuing it further in any case. I have nothing to lose. :laugh:

Candy is doing brilliantly thanks. I hope you are! It is interesting that the dosage is so similar for you both! Maybe you weigh 23kg too??????? :)

w2s

It's certainly worth a shot! You're still paying twice the full price! I'd talk to my GP about it for sure, even if you don't get it on the PBS you're still saving a fortune.

Hahaha! :) my left leg might weigh 23 kgs!

I am doing great, thanks :) Flourinef is possibly the best thing that ever happened to me!

It's certainly worth a shot! You're still paying twice the full price! I'd talk to my GP about it for sure, even if you don't get it on the PBS you're still saving a fortune.

Hahaha! :) my left leg might weigh 23 kgs!

I am doing great, thanks :) Flourinef is possibly the best thing that ever happened to me!

lol

That's great news! :laugh: It's awesome when thing really fall into place! :)

Well, I just went to see my pharmacist and yes, they said my vet can write a script for me and they will happily fill it for me for the term of Candy's natural life! No questions asked...and the price? $31/100 tablets!! Yaaaaay! Still not exactly PBS prices but it will be a big saving over the next 13 years or so.

I then called the vet and the nurse said they will have a script ready later today. I am much happiers now. Thanks for all the advice! :rofl:

w2s

Wow! I didn't realise you could get the dogs Florinef from your pharmacist. I will be definately trying this now. Thanks :laugh: My dog goes through 100 x 0.1mg tablets in 2 weeks and they have just recently put the price up for the Florinef more than double! It used to cost me $20 from our vet, now it costs $44!

We don't get charged a dispensing fee by our wonderful vet and we buy about 8 bottles at a time.

Just rang my local pharmacy who said they can give it to me for $45 for 200 tablets! Rang the vet and they said they will write a script for me. :rofl:

ETA - wonder if the same applies for Thyroid medication? Our dog is on that too.

Edited by tpl

Excellent! I'm so glad I put this thread up. Sounds as though there are a few of us out there who will benefit from it. Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback. It's greatly appreciated. :D I won't hesitate to buy my Florinef through my pharmacy now. :)

I find it a bit sad that our vets don't tell us that they can offer this service. Do they honestly not know or are they simply afraid of losing their dispensing fee? Either way, I think they end up doing themselves a great disservice.

IMHO, a little PR would go a long, long way sometimes. My husband and I have spent a small fortune at two vet clinics in our area over a 20 year period and neither has ever offered so much as a free consult in that time. It does make you wonder sometimes. ;)

I will be taking Candy to the same vet for regular testing and check ups for her Addisons but I certainly won't be beating down their door to have my other dogs treated unless it's absolutely necessary. I really do feel quite miffed about this issue. Just my $.02 cents' worth... :o

w2s

IMHO, a little PR would go a long, long way sometimes. My husband and I have spent a small fortune at two vet clinics in our area over a 20 year period and neither has ever offered so much as a free consult in that time. It does make you wonder sometimes. :thumbsup:

w2s

Sorry.... I just wanted to say.. vets are a BUSINESS.... They need to make money to continue providing care to your/everyones pets.

Why should you get a free consult? You are using the vets time, you get billed for it. They studied at uni for 5+ years to be able to give you a consult.

Sorry.... I just wanted to say.. vets are a BUSINESS.... They need to make money to continue providing care to your/everyones pets.

Why should you get a free consult? You are using the vets time, you get billed for it. They studied at uni for 5+ years to be able to give you a consult.

I agree. They are a business. And if they don't want to give me a free consult, that's their choice.

But given that they already make good money off me, I don't see why they can't tell me when there is a less expensive way to purchase already costly drugs. I don't think that's too much to ask. It is heartbreaking enough to have a dog chronically ill and highly dependent on regular medication without having to pay more for it than is necessary.

BTW, the company I work for makes a habit of rewarding its good customers every now and again. It pays great dividends. It's called PR.

w2s

The difference is that the human medication is on the PBS, so its subsidised by the Government. The tax that we all pay goes towards making these medications cheaper for people. The Drug Company or Pharmacy etc still gets their full amount for the drugs they make or sell, the difference is, the consumer only pays part of the price and the Government makes up the rest with money coming from the tax payer.

The PBS was put in place to assist people with the cost of human medications. So getting animal medications is essentially rorting the system and means that mine and everyone else's tax is helping to pay for your dogs medication.

The PBS was put in place to assist people with the cost of human medications. So getting animal medications is essentially rorting the system and means that mine and everyone else's tax is helping to pay for your dogs medication.

Just to let you know that I am a taxpayer myself and am against "rorting" the system. All the Pharmacists I spoke to yesterday advised me that this is all legal and that the cost of the Florinef is not the PBS price. Unless my dog is on my Medicare card (which unfortunately she is not) then I can not get the PBS price. The PBS price for 200 tablets is $33.30. I have to pay the non PBS price of $46.50. http://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/1433K. Please advise if I am mistaken as I in no way want other taxpayers to pay for my dog. I am just looking at cheaper ways to treat my dog. When I came home the other week and told my husband that our dogs medication had more than doubled in price my husband started talking about other options for our dog ie PTS. Given that this is not the only medication our dog is on and that she also has to have regular vet visits for blood tests etc, it all adds up over the year and if I can save money on her Florinef tablets then it all helps.

Please everyone who intends using the pharmacy for cheaper drugs, don't neglect to have vet checks to monitor your dogs progress. Keep your vet up to speed with your pets condition.

Good point Crisovar. :o

This is most important. We plan to check in with our vet very regularly as well as keeping a very close eye on Candy's progress. The first sign of anything unusual and our vet will be advised.

All the Pharmacists I spoke to yesterday advised me that this is all legal and that the cost of the Florinef is not the PBS price. Unless my dog is on my Medicare card (which unfortunately she is not) then I can not get the PBS price. The PBS price for 200 tablets is $33.30. I have to pay the non PBS price of $46.50. http://www.pbs.gov.au/medicine/item/1433K. Please advise if I am mistaken as I in no way want other taxpayers to pay for my dog. I am just looking at cheaper ways to treat my dog.

This is exactly what my Pharmacist led me to believe too tpl. :cry:

I find it a bit sad that our vets don't tell us that they can offer this service. Do they honestly not know or are they simply afraid of losing their dispensing fee? Either way, I think they end up doing themselves a great disservice.

IMHO, a little PR would go a long, long way sometimes. My husband and I have spent a small fortune at two vet clinics in our area over a 20 year period and neither has ever offered so much as a free consult in that time. It does make you wonder sometimes. :o

I will be taking Candy to the same vet for regular testing and check ups for her Addisons but I certainly won't be beating down their door to have my other dogs treated unless it's absolutely necessary. I really do feel quite miffed about this issue. Just my $.02 cents' worth... :cry:

w2s

We aren't in a position to offer it for every medication and some vets prefer not to do it. For every client who does come back for regular rechecks, there are those that just want scripts for cheap meds, don't come back in for the check ups, and then get upset when we refuse to give another prescription, then blame us when their dog starts to deteriorate a few months later. . We have an obligation to maintain a genuine vet - client - patient relationship which means we should see the pet at least every 6 months.

We do have clients who prefer to (knowingly) pay the bit extra for meds because we are always available in the clinic or on the phone for any questions they have, vets and staff spend a lot of time providing advice at no charge. Some find it more convenient, some would rather that we keep track of everything, explain the usage, check the dosage and generally just get to know them and their dog. However, consultations are services that take time, so they are not often done at no charge. This is one issue where the best thing I can recommend is to communicate with your vet. If you find the meds expensive, ask if there are alternatives ways of doing things. Not all vets will be comfortable doing it, and as I've mentioned (and as you've already said you will, so not having a dig) it is important that regardless of where the meds come from, any monitoring and testing is kept up to date.

We aren't in a position to offer it for every medication and some vets prefer not to do it. For every client who does come back for regular rechecks, there are those that just want scripts for cheap meds, don't come back in for the check ups, and then get upset when we refuse to give another prescription, then blame us when their dog starts to deteriorate a few months later. . We have an obligation to maintain a genuine vet - client - patient relationship which means we should see the pet at least every 6 months.

We do have clients who prefer to (knowingly) pay the bit extra for meds because we are always available in the clinic or on the phone for any questions they have, vets and staff spend a lot of time providing advice at no charge. Some find it more convenient, some would rather that we keep track of everything, explain the usage, check the dosage and generally just get to know them and their dog. However, consultations are services that take time, so they are not often done at no charge. This is one issue where the best thing I can recommend is to communicate with your vet. If you find the meds expensive, ask if there are alternatives ways of doing things. Not all vets will be comfortable doing it, and as I've mentioned (and as you've already said you will, so not having a dig) it is important that regardless of where the meds come from, any monitoring and testing is kept up to date.

Thanks for giving a different perspective on this issue Rappie.

In hindsight, my choice of words could have been better... :laugh: ...a free consult was really just one example.

But you're right, I do need to communicate this to my vet if it bothers me.

Having said that, I have the utmost respect for both our local clinics and their vet/nursing staff. It could be that because the bulk of their business comes from the dairy farmers in our area, the small animal part of their business is really quite insignificant. A small fortune for us is probably a mere drop in a dairy farmer's veterinary bill ocean. It's all relative I guess............ :thumbsup:

Given that Florinef is only available in human grade form, we are fortunate to be able to purchase it at a lower price by buying it at a pharmacy. I imagine that not many meds for dogs fall into this category so normally, we happily pay whatever the vets charge us including their mark up or dispensing fee. I have never had a problem with that.

On that note, I dropped Candy's script off at the pharmacy earlier today. When I explained that I needed a script filled for my dog, the woman serving me said "No problem...you're certainly not the only one!" I live in a town with a population of just 1,600 people, serviced by one pharmacy - I was quite surprised at her response. Perhaps there are more human grade meds being prescribed for dogs than any of us are aware of?

w2s