Rabies Vaccine Shortage

Tealc's hooman

Hi everyone!

Maybe it has been discussed before but there is a rabies vaccine shortage in Australia :laugh: Apparently the manufacturer is to blame. But blaming doesn't really help as it wont get my dog vaccinated.

Now I have been told by my vet that she can get the vaccine they produce for humans but at a cost of $340 plus $307 for the blood check. Usually it would cost $100!!!!

Has anyone any ideas about this "shortage"? Will it be over soon?!

Thanks heaps!

I found this info;

NOTICE TO IMPORTERS OF CATS AND DOGS AND FROM ISRAEL

Effective 15 October 2010, AQIS has suspended the direct importation of cats and dogs from Israel.

AQIS has received advice from Biosecurity Australia that there has been an occurrence of dog–mediated rabies in northern Israel and accordingly the quarantine risk associated with the direct importation of cats and dogs from Israel has changed.

The information relating to Israel contained on this website is currently being updated. Anyone wishing to import a cat or dog from Israel should contact AQIS Live Animal Imports in the first instance.

from here; AQIS

Hope it helps :laugh:

I can't see there being any available for some time or until the Government/Bio Security order more.

As far as I am aware there is some about, it just means finding the vets that have it.

Maybe some of the authorized vets that do the dogs for overseas when vaccination is required, may have a bit left.

Better still, maybe ring the Quarantine stations in your state, where applicable.

The manufacturer is not to blame, there was a rabies epidemic that required non-essential vaccines to be transferred there.

About a month ago there was a shipment of the vaccine into Australia...HOWEVER...the shipment is of 10 dose vials which must be used within 1 day of opening. So I know that some vets are doing rabies vaccination days - both Jet Pets and Bondi Junction run theirs on Fridays. Contact your local AQIS accredited vet and enquire if they are doing something similar.

A friend is taking her dog to Japan in a few weeks and is having to take him unvaccinated for rabies due to the shortage of vaccine....which she was told will not be available here until next year.

It's not a hassle with Japan though as he is coming from a rabies free country....and he does not need to be vaccinated once he arrives, as it is considered rabies free there too.

AQIS have some weird rules though. When another friend moved back to live in Sweden AQIS insisted that her dog be vaccinated for rabies...yet Sweden do not need imported dogs to be vaccinated if they come from a rabies free country? :laugh:

Thanks to all of you for your help!

I have called a few vets and they all can now get hold of the "human vaccine" which contains 10 doses. But only one agreed to get a few people together instead of charging more money... :grimace:

SO IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE IN THE SYDNEY AREA WHO IS IN THE SAME SITUATION - MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER?

@Tim's Mum: I have the same issue - the reason we need the needle is that we MAYBE are going back to Germany. Now - there is rabies in Germany but not in Australia. I don't understand why we need the injection coming from a rabies free country. It would be more then enough to do it once we are in Germany for maybe 30 Euro instead of $650. But I guess there is nothing you can do...

TM - the European Union set the legislation for ALL EU countries in regards to import requirements. This is not AQIS legislation but that of the country the animal is going into. The minimum requirements for an EU country is a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before departure and a final health check within 24 hours. Other countries specify additional measures must be done e.g RNATT, treatments etc

TH - if you are that desperate to get it done contact Jet Pets or Bondi Junction who run their vaccination program on Fridays.

Again - thanks a lot! I'll contact Jet Pets to see what they recommend.

I'm not desperate yet as we have no actual plans to go back. But If it happens it will happen fast and I thought I would better get it out of the way esp if you have to wait for 6 Month after the injection... I admit I'm just starting looking into the whole thing and it is rather confusing :angeldevil: as it sounds now like I don't have to wait for 6 month going into the EU?

Again - thanks a lot! I'll contact Jet Pets to see what they recommend.

I'm not desperate yet as we have no actual plans to go back. But If it happens it will happen fast and I thought I would better get it out of the way esp if you have to wait for 6 Month after the injection... I admit I'm just starting looking into the whole thing and it is rather confusing :angeldevil: as it sounds now like I don't have to wait for 6 month going into the EU?

If you are going to Germany there is no 6 month wait.

If you are going to the UK then yes get it done now as you have to have the rabies injection, wait at least 21 days and then have the RNATT (rabies titre test) done and then you can travel 6 months after the date the blood is drawn.

Australia although rabies free is counted as a "third country" to the EU - so thats the protocol that has to be followed.