Playing Or Fighting?

Hi guys,

I have a rather bombproof female labrador and another male dog that probably has staffy heritage. I got the male from the pound just over 12 months ago and have been monitoring his behaviour with my lab (who I've had since a pup). In the beginning, they would play, and then he would terrify her by literally turning on her and chasing her around the yard. This dog was quite fearful in general and expressed it by 'acting out' and trying to be dominant. He has settled over time and relations between them have improved.

I still have a lot of trouble though, telling the difference between their rough play and something more intimidating. There is a lot of mouthing, growling, neck grabbing and both exhibit submissiveness by lying down/rolling over intermittently. The lab raises her hackles whenever she is excited so that also makes it difficult! He has also started trying to mount her again- is that something I need to be concerned about? Both are four years old and desexed.

I'm not very savvy at interpreting dog body behaviour and want to recognise when, and how, I should intervene on the lab's behalf.

Assistance greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ms Genki

It can be hard to tell, and the difference are sometimes subtle. Dogs mimic fighting when they play. Dogs in play will usually move around a lot. They will change positions every 10 or 20 seconds. One take the biting role, then the other does.

Dogs trying to start something will usually bite and hold and try to always be on top.

If the play is not changing constantly, or if one dog is always on the bottom, I'd step in. It's not always 50/50, but on balance both dogs should be giving as good as they get.

Chasing is ok, lots of dogs play chase games. It's what happens when the dog get caught that problems occur. If the dog gets caught and rolled, or is held down, not good play. If the same dog is always being chased, that's also not a good dynamic.

I've always taught the command Time Out as a way to cool down escallating play.

edited to add: I'd not allow the mounting.

Edited by Aussienot

I look for attempts by one dog to get away. If Kivi or Erik aren't enjoying a game, the ears go down but only slightly back, the tail goes down, and they will turn away from the other dog. If they keep turning away or trying to walk away from the other dog, I would body block the other dog to give my guys a break.

Between them, they get quite noisy and boisterous in play. They roll each other a lot and neither minds, so I let them do it. I intervene if my older dog starts crying. He is a total crybaby and he does it when my younger dog is barely touching him, so usually I ignore it unless he yelps several times in quick succession. I've seen him yelp and then take advantage of the lull from my other dog to pin the little guy, so a bit of discrimination seems sensible with him, but if any other dog yelped in play just once I'd be over there in a shot to break it up.

I wouldn't allow the humping, either. It can get to be a habit.

It can be hard to tell, and the difference are sometimes subtle. Dogs mimic fighting when they play. Dogs in play will usually move around a lot. They will change positions every 10 or 20 seconds. One take the biting role, then the other does.

Dogs trying to start something will usually bite and hold and try to always be on top.

If the play is not changing constantly, or if one dog is always on the bottom, I'd step in. It's not always 50/50, but on balance both dogs should be giving as good as they get.

Chasing is ok, lots of dogs play chase games. It's what happens when the dog get caught that problems occur. If the dog gets caught and rolled, or is held down, not good play. If the same dog is always being chased, that's also not a good dynamic.

I've always taught the command Time Out as a way to cool down escallating play.

edited to add: I'd not allow the mounting.

I would agree with this

:mad

All I would say but its been said

A signal I like to see from both dogs is to break off and shake. I've observed this with all my dogs when they play boisterously. Its a kind of time out signal and if I see that occasionally I'm happy.

Hi guys,

I have a rather bombproof female labrador and another male dog that probably has staffy heritage. I got the male from the pound just over 12 months ago and have been monitoring his behaviour with my lab (who I've had since a pup). In the beginning, they would play, and then he would terrify her by literally turning on her and chasing her around the yard. This dog was quite fearful in general and expressed it by 'acting out' and trying to be dominant. He has settled over time and relations between them have improved.

I still have a lot of trouble though, telling the difference between their rough play and something more intimidating. There is a lot of mouthing, growling, neck grabbing and both exhibit submissiveness by lying down/rolling over intermittently. The lab raises her hackles whenever she is excited so that also makes it difficult! He has also started trying to mount her again- is that something I need to be concerned about? Both are four years old and desexed.

I'm not very savvy at interpreting dog body behaviour and want to recognise when, and how, I should intervene on the lab's behalf.

Assistance greatly appreciated.