What Age Should I Stop Feeding My Dog Puppy Kibble?

hey people,

ike is now 5 months old, and i was just wondering when i should stop feeding him puppy kibble.

and also what are your thoughts on feeding dogs Kangaroo mince, ive heard it's less fattier than chicken or beef??

thoughts anyone???

HI

Depending on breed growth rate and adult size puppy kibble can go when close to adult size is gained , this can be anywhere between 7 and 14 months depending on the breed you have,

Kangaroo is a good very lean meat , I prefer to feed in chunks as apposed to mince when I can find it, remember when changing or adding a new food to do it over several days to see if there are any reactions to the new food.

With a young active pup roo may not have enough fat to provide the energy he goes through on its own rotate between different forms and types of raw meat with his kibble.

I would stick with it for a while longer then as your breeder will know the growth rate of your pup, he may be due a growth spurt between now and 9 months and good nutrition is very important for him to develop properly , may I ask why you would like to change him over ? is he having issues with the food ?

my breeder didnt give me very much information, which was a little upsetting, but ike is doing fine with his food, and doesnt seem to complain, i was just interested to know what other's thought, seeing as i havent found a Shiba Inu thread on the forum :)

A few people have the breed here I am sure that they will pop past , Shiba is a l breed that develops quickly , unless you have a lot of background feeding raw and mixed diets I would leave him with his puppy food for a while yet . try adding the odd chicken frame or wings , a lamb breast or whole lamb neck for a change beef and beef bones should be a last to introduce as its very rich and can hit the tummy hard (runny poos , windy tummy )

The baby puppy pic is cute bet he is a little bigger than that now :)

oh yeah his much bigger now.. im put up some photo's of him in the photo topic.

thank you sooo much for the advice you've been really really helpful :)

Ike had a run in with a Jack russel at puppy school, so they coulcnt play together anymore, but otherwise he was fine with all the other puppies especially a Kepie, ike would just chase her around and they would just end up rolling around on the ground lol

thanks vickie. ive been feeding ike mince and kibble and vegies, he doesn't seem to mind it, and ive fed that to my samoyed as well and never had any problems :mad

I don't EVER feed puppy food.

Lots of breeders in my breed do & recommend it, lots don't & recommend not to.

The best you can do is your own research & make up your own mind which way you want to go.

Yep same goes here, babies start on adult dry at 8/9 weeks and my only rule is that I feed all meat on consumable bone.

• 1 month later...

Ill suggest to you what i suggest to all my customers. Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :coffee:

If you need more details ask away and i can go into more depth on the topic :)

Ill suggest to you what i suggest to all my customers. Use puppy kibble till the pup reaches one year old. For breeds such as SBTs, Amstaffs, and larger breeds like GSDs, Rottweilers, and above use the kibble till the puppy is 18 months old. Dont use kibble only as im sure you know, so using kangaroo meat is fine and is the lease fattiest although with puppies using minced beef/chicken is usually suggested because that fat is needed by a growing and energetic pup. Also stick to at least a premium brand of food as kibble comes in 3 stages. Budget, Premium, and super premium which all comes down to the quality of the food. Although alot of people complain about the price difference( not referring to anyone its just something i hear daily) the difference you will see in your puppy is amazing as i actually tried it on my own so that i could see with my own eyes the suggestions i make to people at work. Premium ingredients are of far superior quality and require less amounts of feeding for the same nutrition for your dog, not to mention less poop :coffee: