How Well Do You Take Feedback?

SkySoaringMagpie

I think it depends on intent. I am happy to talking honestly about all my dogs pros and cons as I know they are not perfect but some people are very good at recognising the cons and not so good at the pros. Those same people funnily enough have perfect dogs.

Normally it is like water off a ducks back but sometimes it does make you think. I got a critique a few years that mentioned the small eye my dog had. I spent months reading the standard and looking at other dogs eyes only to come to the conclusion that the standard left a lot of room for interpretation. It is good to challenge your thinking as sometimes we get used to something but that doesn't make it correct.

Depends if I asked for 'feedback' :) There's also a time and a place to provide feedback. Just when I come out of the trial ring after a patricularly bad run, is not the time to tell me my handling sucked :). I'm probably already telling myself :)

I learned early on to listen to all feedback provided by judges and instructors for dog sports, nod and smile politely and then take any gems I can from it, however rare that may seem at times.

I have had a couple of not so nice comments about my dog made to me without me asking the persons opinion, such as my dog has an ugly head (their opnion, I think he's handsome) and I not only didn't appreciate it, I told them I thought they were rude! I hadn't asked their opnion. Of course all comments on how luverly my dogs are are always graciously accepted :):laugh:

I am happy to take feed back from just about anyone- doesn't mean I will actually bother to think about it for more than three seconds!!

I try to look at what people say objectively- yes I know that my flyball dog does not come back as fast as she goes down. It is a bit of a running joke now and I don't mind people commenting on it. I do mind people telling me that it is easily fixed- it isn't and I have just accepted that's the way she is. Someone saying that my Lapphund is low drive when they see her at a show etc is not very appreciated, nor telling me that my kelpie is bumb high when she is stalking sheep- generally people who make those types of comments will get a polite education on the topic.

I tend to seek out feedback from people that I actually want to get it from, so anything else is evaluated based on it's merrit.

Nice feedback is also welcome- it's something that I have been trying to do more of myself this year, and will up the anti in the new year because I dont think there is enough of it floating around. I know as a newbie with a high drive dog I didn't receive very many positive comments but the ones I did get were what kept me going.

I appreciate the feedback if it comes from someone whose opinion I value.

The rest I ignore.

I totally agree with the first part and will put the most store by the feedback I receive from people who I respect, although I will listen to feedback from anyone and then assess it or check it out with someone else to verify if I need to. As far as I'm concerned the more information and feedback you get, the more of an informed opinion you can have. EG Even if someone gives me some feedback that's completely wrong about my dog I'll remember it especially if that person is a judge or in the judging program.....

Some people try to stir up trouble with rather negative feedback although I've never had too much trouble with that because most of them do it behind your back rather than to your face. Even if they did do it to my face I just wouldn't play the game. One statement to suit all situations - "thank you for your feedback, I'll take it on board".

It's best not to get offended - it's very rare that anyone would provide feedback of any kind with soley malicious motives.

I'd agree....depends who it comes from & about what.

But I have mature tibbie girls who have true buddhist temperaments, so I have no experience of their behaviour being criticised.

They're better behaved than I am. :love::):)