Help

itchy

Hi im after some info on breeding some basset hounds a friend of mine wants to breed his pair but has no idea wot he,s doing so he asked for my help now im a registered stud master for greyhounds both in A.I AND NATURAL MATINGS wot i would like to know is there anything i should know about the bassets as im a little worried about the length of the breed and the short wee legs are we better to serve the bitch naturally or should we just do an A.I any help would be appreciated

Hi itchy! :thumbsup:

This perhaps isn't the best forum to be asking this question. While yours is purely a mechanics issue, this forum is dedicated to responsible (registered) breeding.

My suggestion is that your friend find themselves a mentor in the registered breeder ranks. Someone who can explain the responsibilites inherent in breeding a special breed like the Basset.

They should get themselves up to date with the health testing requirements of the breed and also check out the family history of the dogs they intend to breed.

Edited by Lowenhart

Hi,

I have bred Bassets before.

It does depend on the dogs themselves. I have had natural slip matings with 1 stud and AI's with another stud (he was a very well endowed boy) :thumbsup: I never had a natural tie with my guys. Personally I would go with an AI, have the bitch swabbed for infections first incase she needs AB's.

Also it pays to have the bitch xrayed a few days before she is due to whelp to make sure the pups are small enough to fit in the pelvis. I have had pups range in weight from 350grams (litter of 12) to 800grams (litter of 5). I had 6 litters of Bassets and 4 where c-section.

Normally Bassets are wonderful mothers but they can have a tendancy to squash pups.

If your friend likes they can email me or phone me if they would like more info, details are on DOL.

Basset babies are so gorgeous.

Leanne

Natural matings are apparently possible with the right assistance. Long before AIs were common in dog breeding, there was a brilliant stud master in Sydney that could get just about any breed to achieve a mating. I remember him telling me that he had all the Basset breeders in and around Sydney, as clients at the time.

He is long gone now and had to move to the other side of the country to be able to retire. At the time most of the stud dogs in Sydney knew him and it was hysterical when he acted as steward for his wife, when she judged. :dancingelephant: The dogs all wanted to go to him and not concentrate on what they were supposed to be doing.