Elo Dog

-Yoshi-

Hi guys,

I was looking at dog breeds on google and came upon a custom bred dog called Elo. They started breeding this dog in Germany and i reckon the dog looks beautiful.

Just wanted to know if anyone has one or can you even get that type of dog here??

Sounds like a another designer dog to me:

From Wikipedia:

Marita and Heinz Szobries began crossing their Eurasiers and Bobtails (Old English Sheepdogs) in 1987, believing that, although very different in detail, the breeds were of similar type and had arisen as breeds under similar conditions. Dogs from the cross that showed unique characteristics and good health were bred further. Due to the lack of sufficient Eurasiers, a similar breed, the Chow Chow, was added, and later, Samoyeds and Dalmatians were added to expand the genetic base. Breeding has continued with long term focus on the inheritance of character. The name "Elo" (originally Eloschaboro) is from letters of the 3 breeds - Eurasier, Bobtail and Chow-Chow - and is protected by trademark in Germany. Breeding dogs with the name Elo is allowed only with the consent of the founders of the Elo breed.[4]

[edit] Health

As with all created breeds, the Elo's small population size results in the risk of inbreeding and its after-effects of inbreeding depression, and frequent occurrence of hereditary diseases. There is a susceptibility to Distichia,[5] in which corneal damage can occur.[6] Part of the process of accepting a dog for breeding is an eye examination (for prevention of Distichia) and X-rays to avoid breeding dogs with hip dysplasia.

A genetic study has been done in Germany using the Elo, calculating the proportion of genes of the different founder breeds, of the inbreeding coefficient and relationship coefficients, and the percentage of stillborn puppies in litters. The study also found that all but 3.5% of the Elo were related to each other. The significant gene percentages of the Elo are 48% Eurasier, 23% Old English Sheepdog, 10% Chow chow. The inbreeding coefficient was found to be 12.04%.[7]

Given that breed mix, I wish them luck stabilising temperament and type. Nothing about what I've read makes me want to rush out and get one.

They aren't a recognised breed anywhere and I've never heard of them being here.

I see,

I won't be getting another dog for very long time.

I just saw the dog searching the net.

Are mixed dogs a bad thing ??

We have a Maltese it was stated that he's purebred but we're not sure he does seem that he's on a larger size then the ones we've seen.

I see,

I won't be getting another dog for very long time.

I just saw the dog searching the net.

Are mixed dogs a bad thing ??

We have a Maltese it was stated that he's purebred but we're not sure he does seem that he's on a larger size then the ones we've seen.

That depends on a lot of issues.

If they're being sold for a bomb with a bunch of statements about what they'll be like and the mix isn't stable, then its potential heartache.

If you like that look Yoshi, there are existing breeds with a range of temperaments that might suit.

Edited by poodlefan

Some mixed dogs are lovely. But if you're getting a mixed breed puppy, it could grow into just about anything (even if you've seen the parents). Some people don't mind that - but if that's the case, then you might as well save money and save a puppy from the SPCA or another rescue, not pay a lot of money to get a mixed breed dog that has been deliberately bred.

It's also harder to test for health issues in a mixed breed dog, and most people that breed mixed breed dogs don't bother to do it. Of course, some purebred breeders don't test for health issues either. It's important to do your research & be picky. :cry:

Edited by Staranais