Tripod Or Monopod

*Lolapalooza*

Cany'all please recommend a good tripod for me I usually do dogs shows and random home stuff. Lightweight would be best.

Do you have to be coordinated to use a monopod cos I am a bit of a tard.

What could/should I expect to fork out for a nice tripod and where from pleeeeease.

personally I prefer a tripod, as it allows you to simply compose the shot and not worry about holding it steady, whereas monopod you still need to hold it all yourself, so not quite as free, it merely gives a bit more aid for a heavier lens, or allows you to get up higher. As for what you should buy, my vote would not be to skimp - too cheap a tripod will a) not carry the weight of a heavy lens, and b) be dodgy in the event of a bit of wind, and may blow over. I have a carbon fibre tripod, and pistol grip head (manfrotto), and paid an arm and a leg for them, but they can easily support the heaviest lens (70-200), plus the camera body (5dII), no problems, and being carbon fibre, is nice and light to carry too, important when you are bushwalking and feel every kilo that you carry. Bought mine online from BH photovideo

I've got a SLIK tripod. Very solid but easy to use. I was told by the guys in the camera shop that it's a really good quality and is the top end of the beginner/amateur range. I originally went in to buy a Manfrotto based on advice from my camera course instructor but the guys in the shop said it wasn't necessary to spend that much unless it was going to be used in a full professional capacity.

The big advice I got from both sources though was to make sure you don't buy a tripod that uses clips that open and close to extend and retract the legs and to only get one that uses knobs that you turn to loosen and tighten the extenders. Apparently the clips can loosen over time and one day a leg will collapse without warning and you could lose your camera/lens if everything tips over as a result.

Ok...my mind has boggled with all the freaking brands and heads and stuff.

So I need a tripod and a head yes?

Will look at the sliks I only need it for dog / puppy pics and the odd other stuff but want a sturdy one so my new precious lens dont get busted. :thumbsup:

What version of the slik do you have Snook.

these are what I have

tripod link

head link

Highly recommend a pistol grip head if you can, as it is so much easier to just twist it to get the camera at any angle you want, instead of one where you need to adjust multiple knobs to adjust it in the different directions