Care Packages For Troops - Any One Recieved A Response

mackenzie11

hey all, got a letter this week back from a aussie soldier - female - who i sent one of my packages to, don't know the full details (as i am away and my sister opened the letter) but her name is tara, and she said it makes her so proud to be an aussie knowing that people back home have taken the time and effort to send her and the rest of the troops some christmas cheer, she loved what we had sent :laugh:

i sent 3 all up so hope to hear from the others soon

has any one else recieved mail back??????

My partner was in afghanistan for 6 months earlier this year and he got a couple of care packages from various community groups, as well as the ones his family and I were sending him, he said that they all really appreciate getting care packages, especially from people they don't even know.

It's so lovely that you heard back from the soldier you sent a package too. In my opinion I probably woulnd't hold out too much hope of the others replying though, especially if they went to boys because boys probably wouldn't think to write letters back :laugh: you might get some replies from other women soldiers though, they are probably more likely to write a letter back. Sometimes it's hard pressed getting the boys over there to write a significant letter or facebook message, they are too 'busy' in their time off chilling with their mates or playing call of duty on their computers...

I was just thinking then, I wonder if you are allowed to send care packages to the Explosive Detection Dogs working over there?? That would be nice, I might try to find out whether you can...

I was just thinking then, I wonder if you are allowed to send care packages to the Explosive Detection Dogs working over there?? That would be nice, I might try to find out whether you can...

yes you can :laugh: , i put the original post on here last month for people on this forum to send care packages to the EDDogs over seas, loads of people sent over packages for the dogs, scroll back through and find the topic heading "care packages for our troops" and it has all the information you need, it is a bit late to send for chirstmas but to send in general you should be ok,

for the EDDogs was the main reason for putting this information on here as the dogs are the ones that noone really thinks about

My sister regularly sends care packages to the troops, and makes sure she includes girly stuff and dog stuff!!! She has had a number of responses from the thankful soldiers :laugh: .............. All guys I thinks - most of them quite young too!!

When we go shopping together we are always looking for things to post to the troops - things they would be missing, trivial little things to give them some fun and stuff they are probably missing!

As well as being proud of our Aussies overseas, I am also proud of my sister who takes the time and money to do this. She lives on a disability pension but still finds a bit of money to put together care packages for the troops!!

What I also think is pretty good is if the packages are under a certain weight (cant remember sorry), Australia Post will pay the postage :p ;)

My sister regularly sends care packages to the troops, and makes sure she includes girly stuff and dog stuff!!! She has had a number of responses from the thankful soldiers :laugh: .............. All guys I thinks - most of them quite young too!!

When we go shopping together we are always looking for things to post to the troops - things they would be missing, trivial little things to give them some fun and stuff they are probably missing!

As well as being proud of our Aussies overseas, I am also proud of my sister who takes the time and money to do this. She lives on a disability pension but still finds a bit of money to put together care packages for the troops!!

What I also think is pretty good is if the packages are under a certain weight (cant remember sorry), Australia Post will pay the postage :p ;)

yeah packages under 2kg will be sent for free

I sent a package to my brother over there once. I included a mens magazine. Apparantly it was good currency. Mum and Dad got into trouble for sending him alcohol. Pancake mix was popular.

Good on our troops doing the job they are doing. And anyone who supports them - it is so very much appreciated. They come back and here about how it is not our war blah blah blah. The people over there get to see just how important it is and the rest of us have no idea.

yes you can :laugh: , i put the original post on here last month for people on this forum to send care packages to the EDDogs over seas, loads of people sent over packages for the dogs, scroll back through and find the topic heading "care packages for our troops" and it has all the information you need, it is a bit late to send for chirstmas but to send in general you should be ok,

for the EDDogs was the main reason for putting this information on here as the dogs are the ones that noone really thinks about

Thanks for that, I might put a package together in the new year with treats and toys and stuff.

The dogs do such a great job over there, one of the dogs Sarbi was missing for ages and ages over in afghan and she was found by an American soldier, she is back in Aus now after 6 months in quarantine in the UAE.

I went to Herbies funeral in july, he was an EDD killed in action on the 7th of June along with Jacob Moerland and Darren Smith, the funeral was lovely, it was pretty similar to the memorial services they held for the boys who were killed so it was really nice that the army recognises the work of the dogs, Herbie's ashes were given to the wife of his handler too which was really nice of the army.

Id be really interested in sending comething over there....Dont know how I never thought you could do this.

If i was to post something how do I go about getting an address as such to send it to?

I found this on another website

"To send a care package to an Australian Soldier in Afghanistan, you need to purchase a "BM" size box (weighs 175g itself) from Australia Post, they cost $2. They'll give you some customs forms which you will also need to fill out. The address you need to send the package to is below. Make sure you seal all the edges of the box with packing tape. If the box after being packed ways less than 2kg, Australia Post will send it for Free.

“An Australian Soldier”

Op Slipper

AFPO 13

Australian Defence Force

SYDNEY NSW 2890"

They get heaps of vegemite and tim tams so although they are appreciated other things such as beef jerky or lollies, toiletries etc are very much valued :rofl:

Yeah I kinda thought it was a bit much to expect any response, but it would be really nice. I just have a happy thought of some lucky dog chewing the huge dried kangaroo bone and other goodies I sent and the handler enjoying the jerky and lollies, thats good enough for me :laugh::thumbsup:

they are too 'busy' in their time off chilling with their mates or playing call of duty on their computers...

:laugh: Playing COD and teaching the Afghani kids Aussie slang is pretty much the only thing to do during time off.

Yeah this is what I have heard as well :thumbsup: and also making the afghani's teach the Aussies how to swear in their language too... gotta have some fun I guess :thumbsup:

I don't know, I thought they might be able to spare a few minutes of their time to shoot a email back - especially since it said put a email or self addressed envelope in.

Doesn't matter if they don't, but it would be nice if they did

:thumbsup:

Edited by wagsalot