Got Told That I Do Everything Wrong With Sasha Today

Kelly_Louise

She sounds like a wel behaved well adjusted dog to me.

Considering you didn't get her until she was a year old and she had very little evidence oif training I would say you have done very well.

I do not expect everybody to be interested in obedience like I am or to have a dog trained to the level I aspire to, but I do expect them to behave well in public which it sounds your girl does easily. Tell him to rack off!

I haven't had training tips very often but I did get lots of comments when I had the Rotti's then the Dobes and I get just as many regarding the Whippets. Some good, many not so but phooey to them.

Be proud of what you have achieved :(

Well adjusted.... hmmmm, not so sure :( Sash is as adjusted as she can be, let's leave it at that!!!

I don't hide the fact that Sash has issues. Some I've maybe even not helped with due to my inexperience. But the negatives of Sasha we've learned to manage nicely to the point that if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't know. I'm realistic of her limitations and we work on that each day.

And in public I always try to make sure she is well behaved, especially seeing she is a larger dog. Goodness knows I've made mistakes, but learnt from and fixed them.

This pic is about as bad as her behaviour got yesterday... when she decided she didn't want to walk one step further. I figure, I can live with that if it's as bad as it gets ;)

PS. BOB... or just BLOB?

post-8152-1293142547_thumb.jpg

and the man started giving me a lecture about how I am not a good leader and how I'm doing everything wrong etc

Next time tell him to go watch his Cesar Milan DVDs and leave you the hell alone. :(

Young Howard has the charming habit of leaping about and barking excitedly when a dog approaches. I must remember that I'm not dominating him enough when he does this. ;) On the other hand, it has detered a couple of rushing dogs to have a mad Whippet woo wooing at their approach.

Edited by poodlefan

and the man started giving me a lecture about how I am not a good leader and how I'm doing everything wrong etc

Next time tell him to go watch his Cesar Milan DVDs and leave you the hell alone. ;)

Young Howard has the charming habit of leaping about and barking excitedly when a dog approaches. I must remember that I'm not dominating him enough when he does this. ;) On the other hand, it has detered a couple of rushing dogs to have a mad Whippet woo wooing at their approach.

;) See, whatever works for us hey?

Personally, I love a woo woo'er :( My Chloe is a woo woo'er too!

Next time tell him to go watch his Cesar Milan DVDs and leave you the hell alone. ;)

Its situational too. I can walk Howie at shows and the dog club on lead and he's a lamb.

In the 'burbs, with an approaching dog he gets sooo excited. I dropped his lead one time when two dogs came in hard and he zoomied so much around them they decided to leave. ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Young Howard has the charming habit of leaping about and barking excitedly when a dog approaches. I must remember that I'm not dominating him enough when he does this. :rofl: On the other hand, it has detered a couple of rushing dogs to have a mad Whippet woo wooing at their approach.

Its situational too. I can walk Howie at shows and the dog club on lead and he's a lamb.

In the 'burbs, with an approaching dog he gets sooo excited. I dropped his lead one time when two dogs came in hard and he zoomied so much around them they decided to leave. ;)

;) My dog is utterly perplexed by whippets. She tries to keep up with one at the park, obviously she has no hope, poor thing, the dog literally runs circles around her ;)

I hate having people tell me what I'm doing wrong with my dog. It is usually people with dogs whose manners leave a lot to be desired funnily enough.

I even had some crazy tell me that when my dog tried to jump up on me i should catch her mid air (a 25kg lab!) and throw her to the floor, making her submit and growling at her. Needless to say i did not take that advice very well.

Ive even had people tell me its cruel to walk my dog on lead- this was in an on-lead area. When i said it was against the law to let dogs off lead in this area and you could get fined they said that was only for untrained dogs that would run away and I should really train my dog not to run away from me????

Sasha is very cute, she looks very comfy in that pic!

Aussielover:

My dog is utterly perplexed by whippets. She tries to keep up with one at the park, obviously she has no hope, poor thing, the dog literally runs circles around her

The BC that plays with my Whippet is smart. She stays on the inside of the circle and cuts across to head him off. My friend's Kelpie gets very frustrated trying to herd an animal that belts around him in a circle. He does the "kelpie stalk' and Howie goes into mad zoomies of excitement :(

Howie gave the Whippet treatment to a dominant young SBT we met on the local oval a while back. It found out that its somewhat challenging to try and posture and dominate a dog that's twice as fast as you are LOL. All the owner could say was "I've never seen a dog go so fast". I think Howie wasn't even in warp drive. ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Aussielover:
My dog is utterly perplexed by whippets. She tries to keep up with one at the park, obviously she has no hope, poor thing, the dog literally runs circles around her

The BC that plays with my Whippet is smart. She stays on the inside of the circle and cuts across to head him off. My friend's Kelpie gets very frustrated trying to herd an animal that belts around him in a circle. He does the "kelpie stalk' and Howie goes into mad zoomies of excitement :thumbsup:

Howie gave the Whippet treatment to a dominant young SBT we met on the local oval a while back. It found out that its somewhat challenging to try and posture and dominate a dog that's twice as fast as you are LOL. All the owner could say was "I've never seen a dog go so fast". I think Howie wasn't even in warp drive. :xmaslights:

:laugh:

Sasha's answer to dominant dogs is to hop up on 'her' park bench, where she has the upper hand, and swat 'em from a higher position. Most people don't allow their dogs to jump on the park benches (or it's never occured to them to do it, I don't know) and they also look around with a perplexed expression on how they could possibly achieve their goal to dominate this thing staring down at them with a big smile (and usually drooling on them in the process). She may act like an airhead, but Sash is smart!

I don't think we've ever met a whippet. I did however meet my first ex-racing greyhound the other day and OMG :D I was smitten, and more than a little awestruck.

I even had some crazy tell me that when my dog tried to jump up on me i should catch her mid air (a 25kg lab!) and throw her to the floor, making her submit and growling at her. Needless to say i did not take that advice very well.

Yep how to break a leg or two and some ribs in a few seconds. I shudder what some of these dogs themselves go through!

Sasha has comfort all sorted! When you are puffed you recline on a park bench until such time as you feel the strength to go on!

I have never taken my dogs to play with others at parks or anything so not sure of the exact reaction, but I know the Stafford gave up a couple of weeks after an 8 week old Whippet came to live here!

Rommi roo roo's and carries on as well - love it!

Howie gave the Whippet treatment to a dominant young SBT we met on the local oval a while back. It found out that its somewhat challenging to try and posture and dominate a dog that's twice as fast as you are LOL. All the owner could say was "I've never seen a dog go so fast". I think Howie wasn't even in warp drive. :xmashohoho:

My rather bossy staffy copped the Dane treatment a while ago....he decided he was going to attempt to mount an adoloescent Dane, who gave him a "WTF?" look, spun around & sat on him until he stopped making a fuss :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I remember when we had out kelpie pup, OH was wlaking her, and an older lady stopped him to ask somehting about her. Anyway, Lily got bored & jumped up at OH, who just turned his back on her. The lady said "Oooh, what yhou need to do is this..." and without asking, shoved her open palm in Lily's face & screamed "DOWNDOWNDOWNGETDOWN". ;)

I remember when we had out kelpie pup, OH was wlaking her, and an older lady stopped him to ask somehting about her. Anyway, Lily got bored & jumped up at OH, who just turned his back on her. The lady said "Oooh, what yhou need to do is this..." and without asking, shoved her open palm in Lily's face & screamed "DOWNDOWNDOWNGETDOWN". :laugh:

:laugh::xmaswave::):laugh: ;)

Unbelievable!

I had stopped to look at some ducklings at the lake today, Sash was sitting obediently at my side just watching... When a lady came up FROM BEHIND Sasha and patted her on the head without any warning, saying HELLO loudly and excitedly. Honestly, some people have no idea. Sash was so shocked, and doesn't like being approached by strangers at the best of times, especially from behind with no warning... she jumped backwards and backed up behind me to get away in fright and the lady is still reaching her hand out trying to get at her.

I've explained to this lady before that she can't do that... but some people just don't get it. I explained yet again, why that is not tolerable...

Maybe next time it will sink in?