Qld Government Collars Dog Breeders

Mila's Mum

hang about - are they paying that permit on top of what they previously had to pay or has this replaced some of the fee/permits?

This is a new fee on top of what they have to pay for registration etc - but ANKC and AAPDB get reductions in rego fees - they still have to have their dogs registered with council.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does a Breeder Permit cost and what do I get for this?

$369 for a 3 year permit. This covers the cost of a Council officer to visit the breeder, ascertain

compliance with the Code of Practice, do the processing of the paperwork, and maintain

records.

Under the COE of dogsqld, members are already doing this. We are required to comply with a code of practice, do the paperwork, and maintain records in a bound book.

So, are DogsQld members exempt from this new law, and particularly the $369 triannual fee because they are already doing this?

I think only the most enthusiastic of exhibitors will be prepared to do this, but only under duress.

What does DogsQld say?

Hope they are saying something, or the 66,000 dogs registered Australia wide by the state CCs will be reduced to 54,000 with few dogs registered in Qld.

The AWL has already shown itself to have the ideals of PETA in the formulation of regulations to do with dog breeding.

Funny thing is, the RSPA and government already has the means to close or severely curtail puppy farms. I don't think this is about puppy farms, this is about reducing puppy numbers. Maybe the government isn't aware yet, but that is what it will do. Would have to wonder who, apart from AWL, advises them?

Dogs Qld has their own accredited breeder program up & running. I think that any registered breeder shaping up for that, should just automatically be granted a license no. With no extra application, no extra fees & with no extra external inspections.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/News.aspx?id=235

And there needs to be public education on the benefits of buying a puppy that comes from a source already given the thumbs up by this registering body. That source has proven it's lived up to ethical guidelines. That's what counts, not just a number.

Sorry been away so just catching up.

So Mita is this what is happening in the Gold Coast plan you are promoting for the rest of the state and country? Are ANKC Accredited breeders exempt from paying for and qualifying and just being handed the licnense?

BTW can youtell me how many ANKC breeders have got the license under your plan in your shire?

How many have been denied?

How many ANKC breeders have not even applied?

When you got your license to breed, did you have nay problems?

How many breeding dogs do you have and how many litters will you be breeding using your new license?

I think only the most enthusiastic of exhibitors will be prepared to do this, but only under duress.

I think that is the whole idea, and the more duress the better.

What does DogsQld say?

Who?? (tongue in cheek)

Was just talking to someone I know who breeds dogs for cattle work, his dogs are well known all over the top end as some of the best you can get for the work and the environment. He had no idea about this and did not think he would put him self through the process. So it is not just ANKC breeders who will stop breeding.

Edited by shortstep

Everyone who has an entire dog pays the fee .Dogs Q members get a reduced rego fee per dog.

Made a lot of sense in some shires where they called all breeders in and told them of the new plans to make them pay registrations on dogs that in the past had never needed to be registered because they live in zoned rural areas and that they also had to apply for a breeders permit which they never needed before - Its cold comfort to them to hear the rego is a slightly reduced rate when it never existed for their dogs before.

We have one member in one shire in Queensland who has 8 dogs in rural zoning on 116 acres. She was a good girl and owned up and said she had the dogs and was breeding just as she has done for 15 years.

All of her dogs are house dogs and sleep on her beds and floors.

Then she is hit with orders for quarantined areas, concreted dog runs, wirly birds on shed rooves to be called whelping rooms which her dogs never go into and certainly will never be in when they are whelping.

Three choices either comply and pay out tens of thousands to build pens which will never be used, move or desex them. She is fighting it for now.

Who doesnt mind doing all of this and paying the extra fees - having council come in and inspect your home and how you live to get approval to think about breeding?

Commercial breeders and as we walk away because its become too bloody pathetic and over regulated all that does is give them more demand .

Again I say the ONLY breeder group who was in favour of breeders permits was the commercial puppy breeders group. And that didnt tell them they were on the wrong track!