Dog Chasing Car Wheels

At least 50% of Border Collies will chase anything that moves and makes a noise. Cars, motor bikes, tractors, mowers, whipper snippers, vacumm cleaners, brooms as well as animals, if it moves they will chase. More to the point they actually try to head off whatever it is with deadly consequences if it is a vehicle. The leading cause of death in young Border Collies would have to be getting run over and I make a point of mentioning this in my puppy notes, advising that Borders should never be off lead anywhere near moving vehicles.

With work, they can be trained to ignore these things in the presence of the owner but I would never trust a dog that has been a chaser to not chase if the owner isn't with them. Most owners simply make sure the dog is never left loose where chasing any of these things is possible. Undoing hundreds of years of instinct to chase and head off movement is not an easy task. It is like asking a scent hound not to scent.

An e-collar could be the only thing that may work. I have never used one but have seen them used to stop dogs chasing livestock. The only problem with them could be that some Borders are very soft and the collar may be too much for these dogs, simply scaring them without making the connection to the activity.

An e-collar could be the only thing that may work. I have never used one but have seen them used to stop dogs chasing livestock. The only problem with them could be that some Borders are very soft and the collar may be too much for these dogs, simply scaring them without making the connection to the activity.

Thats why you let a professional do it. The point is not just to zap the living daylights out of a dog the point is to use it as a tool to help you stop the dog doing a dangerous thing through pulling it out of prey drive and teaching it that the option of chasing bad object is a massive no no, BUT you have to also show the dog what the right thing is to do.

Thats why you let a professional do it. The point is not just to zap the living daylights out of a dog the point is to use it as a tool to help you stop the dog doing a dangerous thing through pulling it out of prey drive and teaching it that the option of chasing bad object is a massive no no, BUT you have to also show the dog what the right thing is to do.

I agree with consulting a person who is experienced with ECollar training and use a good quality collar. Stimulation level is difficult to set dependant on the dog's drive level at the time a stimulation is required where it can easily be not high enough and has no effect or too high and the dog either shuts down, loops into a fearful panic or the harder dogs can switch into violent defence aggression and makes the situation worse. ECollar training in not easy to grasp quickly and is quite technical compared with other training tools, definitely not a tool to mess around without professional instruction :rofl: