Next Door Neighbours Cat In My Backyard

Adnil444

I would draw their attention to this product:

http://www.oscillot.com.au/

This is what I plan to use when I own my own home to keep my cats on my property and stop other peoples cats entering.

If it's only your yard they're worried about they could just do your side of the fence although it would be much more preferable for them to just keep their cat in their yard by doing the whole fence line.

This product looks good, but we have trees and shrubs all the way around our fenceline so any cat can just enter and leave by running up a tree and leaping over the fence. I imagine you would need a clear fenceline with no large trees for this to be 100% effective.

I would draw their attention to this product:

http://www.oscillot.com.au/

This is what I plan to use when I own my own home to keep my cats on my property and stop other peoples cats entering.

If it's only your yard they're worried about they could just do your side of the fence although it would be much more preferable for them to just keep their cat in their yard by doing the whole fence line.

This product looks good, but we have trees and shrubs all the way around our fenceline so any cat can just enter and leave by running up a tree and leaping over the fence. I imagine you would need a clear fenceline with no large trees for this to be 100% effective.

Very good point, it would depend on the setup of the yard.

Oh Adnil, I so feel for you trying to figure this out! The balance between cats and dogs is so hard to figure out. i don't know the regs where you are (sorry I should look!!). I think here in Canberra there are some suburbs that have cat restrictions but others that don't... I know that where I live is not restricted.

I do understand though that by letting my cats out I am exposing them to risk... I'm sure as an animal lover you would be sad if your dog injured a cat but ethically I don't think you should feel responsible as those of us that own cats do, or should, understand the risks of letting them roam!!

PS I do get my cats in at night, they only have outside access during the day... they are kept seperate from the dogs in the house and avoid the dogs when outside!

Water spray works well I have found; a bucket work even better!

I always keep a bottle handy near the front and back doors.

My cats do not go into other peoples yards as quite simply they are too fat and lazy and quite content to sun themselves in my yard or take a nap inside. I keep them very well fed.

It is more my bird that I am worried about (he is a rescue that flies outside and comes into roost in my laundry at night). My cats and dogs are fine with him but several of the neighbourhood cats around here are bird killers.

My elderly neighbours cat is one of the worst offenders but I think he is finally getting the message that he is not welcome.

Despite his odd soaking his owner and I are still on friendly terms.

I also do not tolerate dogs that are not cat friendly in my yard.

Its happened twice so far. One actually managed to grab my cat briefly with intent to kill.

I ended up chasing it off with a shovel.

My poor cat suffered some internal bleeding but escaped with her life.

If they cared about their cat they would keep it inside or give it a cat run. Left to roam and kill they tend not to live to old age anyway due dogs, cars and deliquent teenagers (and why get a cat if you leave it out to roam the suburb?).

I've had similar situations with a cat and also a pup, both from different places. I spoke to both owners and asked if they minded if I were to hose the animals when they came in my place. Both lots were ok with this and I found a couple of good drenchings with the hose on full blast cured both cat and pup from coming anywhere near. Found this method better than a bucket, you don't have to get so close and risk the water coming back and drenching the wrong critter, lol.