Conjunctivitis

Spudd

Hey i was wondering if i should take Spudd to the vet to have his eye looked at. He is a 4 months old English bull terrier and this morning he woke up and couldn't even open his eye because there was dry and wet green stuf all around and inside it. I cleaned it with a cotton ball and couldn't believe he let me clean it for him, he just sat there, it must be sore :shrug: I called the vet and they asked me to come in tonight and get the vet to look at it. Is is common for dogs to have conjunctivitis? why do they get it?

Edited by Spudd

Conjunctivits that gets out of hand can damage the eye so I think, particularly as it is bad enough to glue his eye together, it is worth getting a Vet to look at it. If you need to, a rinse using Saline Solution (sterilised Saline Solution can be purchased from your chemist) to rid the eye of the junk conjunctivitis produces might help. Wetting it up a fair bit with the Saline Solution helps to soften the dried stuff and this makes it more comfortable on your dog for it to be wiped away.

My boy used to get the beginnings of conjunctivitis when his immune system was down. For one example : when he had Canine Cough as a pup. It was only a bit of gunk in the corner of his eye so I used the Saline to keep it clean and this was sufficient. I always treated both eyes as if it is conjunctivitis it easily travels from one eye to the other. Be careful to try to not contaminate the good eye in your handling and cleaning process though.

Edited by Erny

I hope it went well at the vet :confused: My 14 month old GSD has had numerous bouts of conjunctivitis and now after seeing an ophthalmologist she has follicular conjunctivitis , and we are on the third type of med to find something that works:(

Best of luck, no doubt the vet will prescribed something for you. My rotti used to have these issues but now if I see it coming on with little bits of discharge I boil water, add a little salt and let it cool to warm temperature and through the I use a tissue to sponge/wash his eye several times a day and the warm salt water bathing usually stops it in its tracks....might be handy to try at some point!

Thanks everyone :laugh:

we saw the vet on Friday night and it is conjunctivitis.

He gave us a paste to put in his eye twice a day and it went away the next morning. we are using it for another week tho.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone :)

we saw the vet on Friday night and it is conjunctivitis.

He gave us a paste to put in his eye twice a day and it went away the next morning. we are using it for another week tho.

I was actually put onto a product called Brolene? (sorry can't remember exactly what its called) But you get it over the counter at the Chemist. It is for mild conjuctivitis. It is around $29.00.

My little one had mild weepy eyes and i used these drops and it cleared up.

Just a thought to get some when the symptons first start will save a trip to the vet and save some money of course lol

Sash has just recovered from a bout of yellow 'booger eye' - as it wasn't too bad I washed it 3 times a day with warm mildly salty water. We did end up getting a cream to, and it cleared up nicely - but I think the regular washing out really helped too.

I must get that sterile saline solution from the chemist... I didn't know they sold it.