Question: Re The Desexed Bitch Thread

dog geek

I have been reading the desexed bitch thread with interest - and one question occurred to me...

Are there not more animals involved in breeding decisions than just immediate ancestors?

I mean - what about sibs/halfsibs/aunties/uncles/halfaunties yada yada yada?

Sure, you want to see the parents/grands/offspring... but wouldn't neutered 'peripheral' animals being shown be an immense help when planning a breeding?

for me, yes, of course and of course their health tests. No good breeding to a dog, for example, with excellent hip and elbow scores if the rest of the family are off the scale. But it's not so easy to find out the family traits at times.

if im reading correctly..

My answer is u dont need to show a dog to know it is of quality - though having titled dogs all throughout a pedigree is nice...

Many will tell u that their pick of a litter went to a pet home to be desexed cause it was the right fit - because it isnt being shown doesnt mean it is of a lesser quality then the litter mates who went in the ring - and to add to this..

In a litter most pet homed puppies are done so for a reason- they are not the breeders ideal, might be a little straight in fore or hind, tail set not quite there etc... in these cases the breeder doesnt want these dogs in the ring, therefore whether entire or desexed these shall never be shown, if they were the results wouldnt be ideal

Sorry if that was confusing :S