Pet Insurance Aust / Medibank

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which pet insurance company?

• Pet Insurance Australia
    • Medibank Private
    • Other

Sorry for yet another pet insurance thread... but I would like to get a fair idea of which insurance company to be going through.

When I brought Henry home almost 12 months ago as a 8-week old pup I immediately took out pet health insurance (Major Medical Cover through PIA) as I had a lucky experience with Fraser and taking out pet health insurance 6 weeks before he became sick.

I contacted PIA late last week to enquire about my premium that I have to pay for this year and was told that the premium has gone up from approx $180 last year now to $350 this year. I did not enquire or ask why there has been such an increase, perhaps because I claimed with Fraser in Sept. 2009?

I did some shopping around and some online quotes through other pet insurance websites and have found Medibank Private to be one of the better insurance companies as far as the premium goes - approx. $250 for the year for Silver Paw Cover.

If you could please vote on the poll and especially let me know if you have had any experience with Medibank Private pet insurance, I have dealt with PIA and found them rather efficient to deal with and they paid out Fraser's claim within days... just want to make sure that I will still get a similar level of care and cover through Medibank.

Thanks for reading and look forward to some replies and feedback.

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

All PIA premiums have increased for this financial year.

I think there's going to be a lot of change in the coming 5 years or so with companies and prices until they find their feet, and the number of policy holders increases.

At the moment the number of policy holders is just a tiny fraction of the pet owning population, prices aren't going to go down until it's a majority IMO.

I got mine through 1300 insurance. Haven't had to claim in 12 months so can't comment on that side of things, but it seems straight forward. If I have problems I'll change when the time comes.

My premium went up by $2 per month this year (I guess like all insurance everywhere!), and I will have to pay a $250 excess per "condition". It's all confusing and I guess you can only go with who you've had resommendations about or good experience with!

I am with PIA, and havent had to make a claim as of yet. However my policy hasnt gone up yet..I am still paying $17.85 a fortnight with them on $100 excess.

When I do make a claim, can anyone tell me firstly.. on the claim form it says "if this is your first claim or have had the policy under 6 months then you must provide medical history". Does that mean as I have only been going to the current vet since July last year I have to go to previous vets to get the medical history? or does it only mean medical history at the current vet (only times shes needed a vet since i took out the policy have been for 2 ear infections, her vaccinations and a stomach bug she got).

I have one dog with PIA and have just changed the other dog from RSPCA to Medibank because the difference in the premium was over $200 pa.

I haven't had to claim with either PIA nor Medibank (and hope not to) but I have made a lot of large claims through RSPCA for cruciate ligaments. They were great to deal with, I just didn't want to pay almost $700 pa anymore.

I am happy to pay a max of $500 pa for each dog.

One previous vet we are on seriously bad terms with and they refuse to give us any of her medical history xrays etc.. so how would i go about getting it? Should I ring up PIA and explain the situation

You can ring PIA and they can call the clinic and request it. However legally your Vet Clinic cannot refuse to give it to you.

You will need the full history for your first claim, from any clinic you've been to, anywhere.