Recommend Me Some Australian Silky Terrier Breeders

melzawelza

Hi guys!

I have an aunty in Cairns that has always bought BYB maltese X silky... she is a wonderful dog owner but just has no idea why this is a bad idea.

Her beloved dog recently died from complications from a tick, and she has been in mourning and wanting another dog of the same cross. I've been keeping an eye out in the pounds etc as I told her I couldn't recommend a BYB to her and she has also been looking through rescue. Problem is she only wants a pup.

We just had a long chat and through the conversation we managed to get her interested in a pure silky from a registered breeder. I explained all about health testing, knowledgable people breeding well temperamented dogs etc and she is now really interested.

Can anyone recommend me some really great silky breeders? Doesn't have to be in QLD as she agreed that the breeder knows the dogs best and could pick a pup for her.

Any in Sydney would be great though as she's coming to visit in a few weeks and we could go and meet the breeder and dogs etc. I really want her to meet some well bred silkys and experience the great service you get from a good breeder, as I know she will then be sold !

Feel free to PM as well if you prefer not to post here. Would also like people to let me know of any breeders to avoid too.

Thanks!

Mel

There are no required health testing for registration. The majority of breeds are the same. Doesn't stop breeders from testing for things anyway.

All toy/small breed pups (and their parents) should be tested for Patella Luxation. It's not breed specific, and can happen in almost all of the small breeds (and their crosses!).

There are no required health testing for registration. The majority of breeds are the same. Doesn't stop breeders from testing for things anyway.

All toy/small breed pups (and their parents) should be tested for Patella Luxation. It's not breed specific, and can happen in almost all of the small breeds (and their crosses!).

Thats what I was thinking - I know a lot of breeds don't require testing but it doesn't mean the breeder shouldn't be doing it.

As far as checking Patellas, is it a specific xray like hips that will see results on a piece of paper or just part of a general vet check?

As far as checking Patellas, is it a specific xray like hips that will see results on a piece of paper or just part of a general vet check?

Patellas can be checked by a general vet and as part of the puppies health check prior to sale. Some breeders can offer letters provided by their vets to prove the results.

I always recommend puppy buyers take the puppy to a vet of their choice for a good health check within a couple of days of purchase.

Unfortnately I do not know enough about Silkies and their breeders to recommend anyone.

Hi there, melzawelza :laugh::)

there are quite a few silky breeders on dogzonline australian silky terrier breeders. :rofl:

as for diseases of silky's there is no specific ones ,but a general vet check by a good vet is a good place

to start. :rofl: patella's, eyes, hips,hernias,etc. should all be done at time of vacination and microchipping. :rofl: there are a few puppies available in queensland at the moment :rofl::rofl::rofl: a good and thorough breeder should provide

vet cert. on these things. cheers :rofl: