How To Put On Weight?

Emma has been through a bit of a stressful time over the past 2 months and has lost a bit of weight as a result. She's not chronically underweight, but I'd like her to gain up to a kilo (she's just over 16kg now and I'd like her to be about 17kg).

Problem is she's diabetic so I don't want to play around too much with her food and then have her diabetes become unstable. I read somewhere that boiled eggs are good to help with this (protein to help build up more muscle but not too much carb/sugar to throw her BSL out of whack). So I'm trying that but if anyone can recommend anything else would love to hear about it!!! And thoughts about how often she can get boiled eggs???

Extra protein is ok as long as her kidneys are fine as protein is filtered by the kidneys.

An easy way would be some pure fat, e.g. olive oil, added to whatever her usual food is. That gives her extra calories without causing problems with her blood sugar.

Guest english.ivy

I need to fatten up my Pointer and I give them both lamb sometimes but it tends to give him loose stools. Maybe I need to add it slowly and keep feeding it every few days so his gut gets used to the fat.

He's a little ribby.

I need to fatten up my Pointer and I give them both lamb sometimes but it tends to give him loose stools. Maybe I need to add it slowly and keep feeding it every few days so his gut gets used to the fat.

He's a little ribby.

He's an adolescent gundog. A lot of them are ribby. Don't panic. He's probably best kept on the lean side as he grows.

Feeding MORE is an option if he'll eat it. Otherwise, if you feed kibble, look to a "power" or "working dog" formula that tends to be higher in fat. My Whippet does well on Advance Active, and Royal Canin, Artemis etc all have higher fat foods.

If you are feeding Black Hawk, the Junior formula is higher in fat. I know a Whippet breeder who always feeds Junior foods to her dog for that reason.

Guest english.ivy

He's on BH lamb but I'm giving him more for a month or so. The BH rep [who is a Collie breeder] had a good look at him yesterday and said he could do with an extra kilo. Apart from that she was really impressed with how he's growing up.

So used to a furry Belgian Shepherd who puts on weight too easily :laugh:

He's on BH lamb but I'm giving him more for a month or so. The BH rep [who is a Collie breeder] had a good look at him yesterday and said he could do with an extra kilo. Apart from that she was really impressed with how he's growing up.

So used to a furry Belgian Shepherd who puts on weight too easily :laugh:

Unless he's got really visible vertebrae, he's probably fine. Ask in the Pointer thread.. I think getting weight on the youngsters is a fairly common problem.

An extra small meal can often do the trick. Both my youngest poodle boy and Howie the Whippet had one while they were maturing - Howie still does sometimes.

Edited by poodlefan

If her diabetes is stable I wouldnt worry about one kilo at her size unless she's being dangerously underweight. I wouldnt be sacrificing the stability of one thing to make a change that really isnt that important. I also dont worry about numbers when it comes to weight. Feel the dog, see the muscle/fat she has, where she feels a little lacking etc. Getting caught up in numbers doesnt necessarily make a healthy dog.

If her diabetes is stable I wouldnt worry about one kilo at her size unless she's being dangerously underweight. I wouldnt be sacrificing the stability of one thing to make a change that really isnt that important. I also dont worry about numbers when it comes to weight. Feel the dog, see the muscle/fat she has, where she feels a little lacking etc. Getting caught up in numbers doesnt necessarily make a healthy dog.

Yeah I do understand. Her diabetes is stable at the moment. My main concern is that I'm going away for 7 weeks so would like just a teensy bit more cover on her incase she finds that a bit stressful and looses more weight. It's so hard with diabetics!!! Having the egg every so often doesn't seem to be throwing her BSL out, and I might try to supplement with a tiny bit of mince (I've got 3 weeks before I go so even if she only puts on a tiny bit I'd be happy!). But like you say, I really don't want her diabetes to be unstable as that is much harder and more expensive to deal with! :laugh:

any "free" food (I mean less than 5% carb) with protein and fat should do it just fine.

pure meats are free; eggs are free.

so feeding her extra mince, lamb flaps etc will do the trick just fine without affecting her stability.

ofcourse it is not a good idea to go overboard with fat ofcourse :o

Firstly as already asked what is the vet recommended weight range for Emma be very careful with extra fat because as it is with humans eating too much fat and too many refined carbohydrates can cause the diabetes, and avoiding excess fat and refined carbohydrates helps to control diabetes.

I was the day carer until recently for Lochie a 7 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and he was on insulin x 2 daily, for his breakfast after the insulin he had a chicken wing, early afternoon he had a small hand ful of kibble and for tea a lovely raw meaty bone. He would eat vegetables and apple and very occasionally a few almonds for a treat I think once weekly his owner gave him egg.

Lochie was lean but the vet said this was best his BGL reading was always good,sadly we lost him to liver cancer on 2nd Jan.

I wouild not worry too much

Good Luck Happy Holidaying

Michelle