Head Shaking - Causes?

mirawee

My kelpie has been a bit flat for the last couple of weeks (except when talking to "his" girls at agility training :love: ) He has also been shaking his head at times so I thought he had a grass seed but decided that since he wasn't distressed I would wait until he was getting his xrays done to get the vet to look in his ears as that was already booked for yesterday. Well, long story short, he had nothing in his ears! So what else can cause head shaking? It isn't all the time, probably just a couple of times every couple of hours. I actully didn't see him shake his head at all last night but he woke me up this morning shaking it again :)

Was he knocked out when they looked in his ears? I mean, they can only see so far so perhaps there is something really deep. Ear infections or ear mites are probably the most common reasons for head shaking.

Sounds like they looked in his ears while he was knocked out for the xrays, so they should have gotten a pretty thorough look down his ear canal. Was it inflammed down there at all? Did they flush his ears while he was under sedation? & did they check for ear mites and bacteria/inflammatory cells by taking a sample & looking at it with a microscope?

If they've done all those things with no results, perhaps they will consider doing some imaging of the middle/inner ear.

Does he have any other signs of skin disease? Ear shaking can sometimes be a symptom of an underlying allergy of some sort.

He's ears were looked at while under a GA (as well as nails and anal glands poor boy) so they could get a thorough look. The vet said there didn't seem to be an issue. They didn't flush though or take a sample as far as I am aware.

Definitely no other signs of skin issues. It is prime allergy weather here in Perth atm though so that is a possiblilty. And allergies would also fit with him being a bit "off" when there isn't something exciting on offer.

It wasn't my usual vet since it was mainly for the xrays. I have an RDO again this Friday so if he doesn't miraculously get better I will get my vet to look closer inspection. And now I know to ask for a flush, check for ear mite and a sample inspection :thumbsup: Thanks guys :D

there is something bothering him if he is still shaking his head, sometimes water can do that to mine, or dirt particules.

i will clean my boys ear out and wipe it clean then massage it and check his ear again.

hoping after they flush his ear out he will stop :thumbsup:

cute avatar (dog) by the way :D

Hi, I have had a lot of problems with Masons ears, the normal vets could not see anything but our dermatologist has a special machine that she looks through, its something a normal vet does not have but dont ask me the name. Mason had what they call a 'plug' quite far down the ear when we first saw the derm, thats cleared up now and he hardly shakes/scratches his ears but when he does its usually from allergies.