New Puppy Owner - Tips?

deltoid

Well, we've had Thor 2 weeks today and he is lots of fun.

We are still working on him with his toilet training. When inside with us he will often go to the toilet in our hallway or just outside his puppy pen (he has access to the puppy pen and therefore his puppy pad at these times).

We keep an eye on him to try and catch him before he goes and take him out regularly to make sure he is always empty but sometimes accidents happen.

When in the play pen he usually aways wees on the mat. However he only poos on it about 60% of the time.

Is there a way for us to encourage the use of the puppy pad so he knows to use it when in his pen (or when he is out of the pen and we haven't taken him outside)? I saw you can buy these scented drops which are supposed to help but I'm not sure if they are just gimmick.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to be more vigilant. Don't let him have access to different rooms unless you can watch him every second. All errors is housetraining are the fault of the owner, not the dog. I think he may be confused as to what you expect of him. I have never used puppy pads & since being on forums have read that they confuse the puppy especially if eventually you want him to toilet outside every time.

Ian Dunbar's alternative to this is http://dogstardaily.com/radio/202-%E2%80%93-loo-logistics shortened version,

http://dogstardaily.com/radio/104-errorles...hewtoy-training longer, earlier version.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. His house training is improving. Still not perfect but an improvement.

When to puppy school yesterday for the first time. He was very well behaved. Did everything he was asked. He was a bit weary of the other puppies though, to be fair they were all bigger than him and very excited. He did show interest in the other puppies but didn't really play with them. Just gave them a sniff. He didn't hide behind our legs though, he was just happy walking around sniffing the grass.