When Is A Good Time For A Second Puppy/dog?

erinonthefarm

I got an older dog when my boy was 4 years old. It worked really well, she was a rescue and while they never played together they were never far from each other. If we walked them seperately, the other would sit at the door and cry (Tucker) or SCREAM (Bambi). That being said, I think Tucker knew when we took Bambi to the vet for the last time. He did a nervous wee in the house as soon as we got home but was perfectly fine after that.

Now that he is 7, I am getting a pup. I was going to wait until he was 8 years old, but my ideal breed litter in an awesome situation with a lovely breeder has come up a bit early (I was going to start looking around April... oops). So he'll be getting a little brother in 10 weeks time :bottom: I've never had a puppy before so I'm quite scared! But zen at the same time. Le boy's dog is 3 and he is more than willing to help me, and I've been reading up on pups like a crazy person!

I think everyone's situation is going to be different. At work the other day we had a couple come in with two pups, brother and sister. I could never do that. They were only 8 weeks old and already completely ignored the 'parents'.

Just wanted to say how adorable Sniper is! So cute!!!

The right time to get a second dog is when YOU are ready. It is ideal to have your current dog well trained as well, so you aren't trying to train two at once. Having said that, having two puppies can work out very well as long as you have the time and are aware of the effort required and you know what you are doing. Getting two young pups would be something that is probably better for experienced dog owners or very committed dog owners.

For me personally, I would say around 12 months to two years old would be when i would consider getting a second dog.

My current puppy is 10 months old and is nearing the age where i would consider getting another dog. Her manners and training are about 90% to my ideal.

If we get to keep her (she is a guide dog puppy) i would raise another pup, I think she would be able to help train the new puppy. I have noticed that other guide dog puppies who are raised with other dogs are much calmer around other dogs anf are much calmer in general.

Edited by aussielover

My dog will be 2 in april and I have my name down to get a pup that will be born around June. I am hoping the age gap is big enough, my dog is fairly obedient though but is still playful enough that when pup is bigger he will enjoy playing with him. I do have my doubts though wondering if Mason will be jelous of the pup at all as he has had my full attention for 2 years! Hope it does not change our relationship for the worse as he is very bonded to me.