Hormonal Incontinence

dee lee

It seems Honey(4yo GR) is experiencing hormonal incontinence.

The vet has prescribed Stilboestrol and says that after taking it for 3 months she should be fine.

Googling says she may have to take it for the rest of her life! :rofl:

What have other people's experiences been?

Oh, and how long before the drugs kick in? :hug:

Edited by dee lee

My 13 year old Toy Poodle Lily developed it two months ago.

She is receiving Stilboestrol and when the time came to cut it back to weekly, she leaked at the 4 day mark. I have her on it twice a week.

Apparently some dogs can store estrogen and only need a top up of hormone every 18 months or so. I'd say Lily isn't one of them. :hug:

ETA: Lily was dry within 3 days of starting the hrt.

Edited by poodlefan

ML- aah, it always helps to search with the right terms.

PF- That's interesting. Shame about Lily, crossing fingers Honey just needs a top up!!!

Mind you, it's not too hard to administer the meds so I'm sure I will cope if not.

My 12 year old Stafford has urinary incontinence, they believe it's either related to age, the fact she has MCT or she's been desexed. She is currently on Incurin which stops her being incontinent but if I forget to give her a tablet she'll start up almost straight away.

A vet suggested my girl might have a bit of leaking as she's been licking her vulva a lot more. However, I can't smell any urine and there's never any damp patches.

Just wanted to ask the people who've posted here if their dog had obvious symptoms, Izzy is almost 3 and was sterilized at 6 months.

Honey is only 4 and was sterilized at 2 and a half.

Just recently we had been finding her bottom area wet occasionally when she had been resting. The wet patches beneath her have no smell- initially we thought she'd just sat in water.

No other symptoms, just leaking.

My 3 yr old female Black Lab has just started having incontinence problems as well. Not sure if she has a UTI or hormonal problems. In addition to this both my labs downed a whole box of snail bait, left deliberately in a park on Sydney's North Shore about 10 months ago. Since that time they have suffered various health issues and now I am left wondering if the snail bait maybe the cause of the incontinence ? Has anyone else out there experienced a similar situation. ? :)

HM- that sounds like good news! Perhaps being young makes it easier for the hormone to work. I hope so!!

Labrador- I can't comment on the snail bait but I do know that UTIs cause the urine to really stink & the dog to usually be in discomfort during weeing. Does this sound like your dog?

The hormone incontinence in young desexed dogs is quite common apparently. If the wee is odourless it's likely to be that. Get your vet to check her out- the hormone tablets are quite cheap so it's a pretty easy fix if it works.

My dog was desexed at six months and wet her bed a month later. We used Stilbestrol, but were advised to change to Propalin due to Stilbestrol now being banned for humans and also the concerns of nasty side effects in dogs. I know of several vets unwilling to give this drug, choosing Propalin to be a safer option.

On researching, I found some information on the use of an implant called Suprelorin. It has been used for years as a contraceptive for entire dogs, and it was noted that it seemed to have a positive effect on incontinence issues.

I contacted our vet, who then got in contact with the makers of the implant. It is a very safe drug, and Heidi had great success for 10 months without any dripping etc. Once she started dripping, we put another one in. We had another one inserted about 3 weeks ago, and unfortunately she is still having drips, but she is very out of sorts at the moment due to mystery illness that may be triggering some incontinence. I can't think why the implant would work so well the first time, but not the second.

The implant is not marketed as an incontinence treatment at this staged, although I think Heidi is on some sort of register to gather information for the makers of the implant.

All in all, I'm hoping the second implant kicks in soon, and that we have another year of no dribbles.

I had two of my bitches who were incontinent, one who was spayed at 6 months and was incontinent a couple of years later, she was on Propalin,

and as she aged and the incontinence became a lot worse, she was put on stilboestrol, which worked but then she started having other issues with

cancerous lumps, one of which was in her rectal area, she could have been operated on, but the vet said that it would be quite possible that she

would then end up being incontinent bowel wise too, as there were nerves in the anal area which could be affected, so had to make the decision to pts.

My other bitch was spayed at 4 years and started with her incontinence when she was about 10 yrs old, it was not really much at first but then got worse as she aged, she was put straight onto stilboestrol, which helped. She died just recently at the vets from a ruptured splenic tumour. It also

just makes you wonder if treatment in the long run creates worse problems, or if it is just co-incidence.

Marion01

As far as I've been told, Stilbestrol will only possibly cause problems while the dog is taking this medicaton. It can have an effect on bone marrow suppression from memory.

I was always worried that it would somehow catch up with us that we used this drug for a year, but I recently asked the vet and he informed me that you would not see problems once off the drug, only while currently on it. I was relieved to hear this.

After just looking on internet, it appeared to cause vaginal tumours in humans (not sure about dogs).

HM- that sounds like good news! Perhaps being young makes it easier for the hormone to work. I hope so!!

Labrador- I can't comment on the snail bait but I do know that UTIs cause the urine to really stink & the dog to usually be in discomfort during weeing. Does this sound like your dog?

The hormone incontinence in young desexed dogs is quite common apparently. If the wee is odourless it's likely to be that. Get your vet to check her out- the hormone tablets are quite cheap so it's a pretty easy fix if it works.

So glad I found this site ! Thanks for the info ! From your description I don't believe it to be a UTI must be hormone related, will see the Vet today.

• 2 months later...

Just an update (that I hope I'm not jinxing myself with! :laugh: ).

Honey has been leak free for over a month now!! :)

For a little while there I was very concerned it wasnt going to work and had resigned myself to regular pills. I was giving them every 2-3 days and then just forgot and left it for 4 days.

No leakage, so then thought I'd wait and start giving it to her if she did leak. NOTHING!!! Hooray! :laugh:

I'm hoping its permanent, but at least now, if it returns I'm armed with information and pills!

Just an update (that I hope I'm not jinxing myself with! :laugh: ).

Honey has been leak free for over a month now!! :)

For a little while there I was very concerned it wasnt going to work and had resigned myself to regular pills. I was giving them every 2-3 days and then just forgot and left it for 4 days.

No leakage, so then thought I'd wait and start giving it to her if she did leak. NOTHING!!! Hooray! :laugh:

I'm hoping its permanent, but at least now, if it returns I'm armed with information and pills!

My guess is it will return and that a course of pills will fix it again.

PF, I suspect you are right.

Still, at this point its better than having to do it every other day, so I'm happy. :)

I have a few theories I'm working on, one involving her diet, crossing fingers that may be enough to keep the damp patches away.