Im A Little Bit Excited

Dogsrawesome

I have been thinking the exact same thing over the past week as i am just fed up with my job. Can i ask a question??

Do you have any qualifications? I have been looking at a few jobs in dog day care and most of them want Cert II or III in Animal Studies. Which i am happy to go back to TAFE to do but in order to the courses you have to have job placement. Im in Sydney so i was just wondering if it is the same for you up in QLD?

Congratulations on the new job. I am sure you will have a blast!

Hey i have certificate II in animal studies which i got all competencies i also did work experience at the rspca and he said i was just what he was looking for. I did my course through school so im not sure about outside of school but to get the certificate you have to do so many hours of work placement i did the rspca and i showed cattle at the brisbane show. I got over the limit of hours which was good. It is a really easy course i thought and quiet fun i would recommend it to anyone. Well i hope that helped

• 2 weeks later...
I have been thinking the exact same thing over the past week as i am just fed up with my job. Can i ask a question??

Do you have any qualifications? I have been looking at a few jobs in dog day care and most of them want Cert II or III in Animal Studies. Which i am happy to go back to TAFE to do but in order to the courses you have to have job placement. Im in Sydney so i was just wondering if it is the same for you up in QLD?

*thread hijack* :)

Nushie and anyone else who is considering work in the animal field - be aware that it is a HIGH competition area. I manage a salon and get at least 3 resumes a week and we're not looking for anyone at the moment! Every resume contains 'love dogs' 'no experience but have my own' etc. The reason I got my foot in the door was because I volunteered at the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home (ah, back in the day) walking dogs. That got me into a salon (I walked in and asked if they had any jobs, they weren't looking but Pester Power is your friend! :( ) bathing dogs and I worked my way up from that.

Unfortunately nowadays even voluntary positions at the RSPCA et all are quite hard to come by as it's very high competition too!! I'd love to let people volunteer at the salon but can't due to OH&S and insurance issues.

Of course most of the animal courses available at TAFE require hours worked in the industry... so you go round and round in a circle.

Your best bet is to keep applying at places you want to work, places you want to volunteer and do something like pet sitting or dog walking while working your current job.

Also keep in mind that the pay in this industry is crap crap crap! When I started I was getting $12p/h which was widely accepted (even tho it's not minimum wage!), and I've had to fight tooth and nail to earn what I'm getting now - which is still not great, but I have a FT contract which is far more important to me.

Burn out is a huge risk, and you have to be a certain type of person to be able to work with animals. They poo, pee and vomit on you, bite you, there is a LOT of cleaning involved and you need to be quite active to do the work. A guy that used to work at my salon lost 10kg when he was bathing!!

That being said - if you're a sad crazy dog lady like me, there's no better job. Just marry a millionare before you ditch your current job :)

*thread hijack* :idea:

Nushie and anyone else who is considering work in the animal field - be aware that it is a HIGH competition area. I manage a salon and get at least 3 resumes a week and we're not looking for anyone at the moment! Every resume contains 'love dogs' 'no experience but have my own' etc. The reason I got my foot in the door was because I volunteered at the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home (ah, back in the day) walking dogs. That got me into a salon (I walked in and asked if they had any jobs, they weren't looking but Pester Power is your friend! :) ) bathing dogs and I worked my way up from that.

Unfortunately nowadays even voluntary positions at the RSPCA et all are quite hard to come by as it's very high competition too!! I'd love to let people volunteer at the salon but can't due to OH&S and insurance issues.

Of course most of the animal courses available at TAFE require hours worked in the industry... so you go round and round in a circle.

Your best bet is to keep applying at places you want to work, places you want to volunteer and do something like pet sitting or dog walking while working your current job.

Also keep in mind that the pay in this industry is crap crap crap! When I started I was getting $12p/h which was widely accepted (even tho it's not minimum wage!), and I've had to fight tooth and nail to earn what I'm getting now - which is still not great, but I have a FT contract which is far more important to me.

Burn out is a huge risk, and you have to be a certain type of person to be able to work with animals. They poo, pee and vomit on you, bite you, there is a LOT of cleaning involved and you need to be quite active to do the work. A guy that used to work at my salon lost 10kg when he was bathing!!

That being said - if you're a sad crazy dog lady like me, there's no better job. Just marry a millionare before you ditch your current job :laugh:

Thanks Koemi, I have been finding it hard to do the courses (even Cert I) as i live and work in Sydney and they are run during the day or at a campus that i would never be able to make it to in time after work.

I fully understand it is a tough industry and i would think that there are a lot of people that join and underestimate the hard work involved. It something that i have always wanted to do and something that i should have done years ago, but being younger, money was pretty important and now i have realise that i hate getting up each day, i hate my job and a hefty pay cut in exchange for doing something i love is well worth it.

Unfortunately everything i apply for wants the qual's. Guess i will just keep on trying and fingers crossed someone, somewhere will give me a chance at cleaning kennels and sweeping floors.

It took me 6 months to get my foot in the door with zoology, but I worked with people who went through a year or two earlier and it was common to take them 6 years. They would just scrape around with volunteer work and animal attendant jobs and lab attendant jobs until they finally got what they wanted. But people like that hold onto their jobs fiercely even when anyone can see it's not worth it. It took them so long to get in they can't bring themselves to get out again. I've found that in fields where the staff are highly motivated and passionate, pay is dismal and workers get badly exploited because they will put up with it.

Good luck to those that want in. :) I used to not care much about money, but I care more now than I used to when I was young. I can afford low pay because my partner is paid well, but if it wasn't for him my life would be a lot tougher. I took a 60% income cut to do my PhD. I don't regret it for a second, but it wouldn't be possible without my partner's support. At least, I wouldn't be able to enjoy things like gym membership and a house in the suburbs and going to conferences and the likes.