Good Boarding Kennel In Canberra?

Poo-Fong

As per the topic title, I am looking for any recommendations of good boarding kennels in and around Canberra for one of my very regular clients who has been transferred for work :laugh:

Absolutely gorgeous people and even more gorgeous dog - extremely happy, social, sweet, well-behaved Beagle x Cavalier girl. We will miss them very much, and I have no hesitation recommending them as clients.

Replies on here or via PM would be most appreciated! :laugh:

*bump*

Anyone? Someone? :bottom:

If you do a search you should find previous threads on this.

Most people recommend one in Queanbeyan called Canberra Pet Care.

One of mine hated the place and came out of it very stressed out so I don't recommend it, but many have had good experiences with it. I have used 3 other kennels closer to Canberra, and I couldn't give a strong recommendation to any of them.

Edited by Diva

For those who are recommending kennels, have they ever been and looked at them ? Or have they just been shown the "executive suites " and stood at the gates looking down onto the patch of lawn ?

For anyone considering boarding, go and have a look. Some kennels are not what you think , dogs stand in their little pen , day in day out and have the shit hosed out around them. You'd be very suprised to find that in some kennels, unless you pay extra $ per day, your dog never gets out. One kennel can house a couple of hundred, yet they have just one out door yard area, a couple of concret areas and a few indoor/outdoor runs.

Tell me how they get through all of those dogs and provide them with even an hours exercise in peak season.

Also ask where the barkers and the trouble makers go. One has a blacked out block of kennels. It houses about 20 dogs, it has thick walls and a thick door. The lights are turned out, they are essentially deprived of natural light for the duration of their stay.

Call and book a time to go and visit and ask to see the facilities and where you dog will recieve it's daily exercise and ask to have a look in the kennel blocks. The quality kennels won't mind someone booking a time and will be happy to show you around, not just the "exec suites" and a grassed area that never gets used

For those who are recommending kennels, have they ever been and looked at them ? Or have they just been shown the "executive suites " and stood at the gates looking down onto the patch of lawn ?

For anyone considering boarding, go and have a look. Some kennels are not what you think , dogs stand in their little pen , day in day out and have the shit hosed out around them. You'd be very suprised to find that in some kennels, unless you pay extra $ per day, your dog never gets out. One kennel can house a couple of hundred, yet they have just one out door yard area, a couple of concret areas and a few indoor/outdoor runs.

Tell me how they get through all of those dogs and provide them with even an hours exercise in peak season.

Also ask where the barkers and the trouble makers go. One has a blacked out block of kennels. It houses about 20 dogs, it has thick walls and a thick door. The lights are turned out, they are essentially deprived of natural light for the duration of their stay.

Call and book a time to go and visit and ask to see the facilities and where you dog will recieve it's daily exercise and ask to have a look in the kennel blocks. The quality kennels won't mind someone booking a time and will be happy to show you around, not just the "exec suites" and a grassed area that never gets used

Yep, I won't use a kennel if they don't show me through, properly and completely. I learnt that lesson...

CPC was very good when I last used them. :laugh: That's how they got my recommendation.

It's amazing what you see from the inside. Working in some kennels is a real eye opener

Yeah I look at them first. The last one was OK for many visits, dogs came out in reasonable shape and when I picked them up, even if I was a day earlier than planned, I went down into the kennels and they were in the extra, extra large pen where I had left them or a free run area.

But I think they have had a change of management and the last few times I have used them have been quite different. Would love to fiind a kennel I could trust to care about their welfare.

Edited by Diva

We went for a visit out at Yass Pets - they seemed ok. We had a wander aound the yards and had a good chat to the owners. They'd had an Akita out there before so they knew the breed and how they work. She was very forthcoming about how they would exercise our boy, and that they would be choosy as to which dogs they exercise him with.

We are going away soon, so will be booking him in for 2 weeks. It will break my heart, but that is just what we have to do.

There's another one in Yass that I have not heard good things about...

but - as everyone says, you need to check these places out for yourselves.

Just recommending the one that I always send my dogs to so your client has more choice location-wise.

I haven't inspected the premises, but the designated playing grounds are nice and my dogs never come back scarred for life (even the neurotic one) so I imagine they treat them well!

www.bestfriendpetcentre.com.au - Parkwood Road, Macgregor - (02) 6254 6399