I Posted A Topic A While Ago

Dogsrawesome

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There may well be a displaced dog that meets your criteria and desperately needs you after all this is over

I will keep my eye out i'm always looking on rescue websites, just my mum is so stubborn :rainbowbridge:.

Is she subborn about you getting a dog in general or a Rescue? A Rescue can be a bit of a risk and needs to be well thought out but can be very rewarding if matched correctly.

Is she subborn about you getting a dog in general

She doesnt want me to get a dog for some unknown reason, even if its for my career and even if i have a job and pay for everything myself, she confuses me. Her first excuse was *i dont have the money for another dog* and i said what if i get a job and she still said no :S its not that she doesnt think i will be able to look after it. I think she is worried because ive always wanted a german shepherd it will be aggressive (mum was bitten when she was younger by a german shepherd). I try to tell her 90% of german shepherds arent like this in good hands but she refuses i also have suggested other breeds and she wont budge. I really want to do this course next year, i called them and they said to be successful i need a dog. I have max but he is like 16yrs old and i dont want to put any pressure on him. I just want a younger dog doesnt have to be a puppy i just want one that is still willing to learn and focused.

She isnt against rescues at all thats where we got max from :rainbowbridge:

Dogperson, the only advice I can give is to wait until you leave home, have a stable place to live and can get a dog on your terms.

If things go as they usually do, your parents may well end up having the dog with them long term. I can understand that your mum may be concerned about being landed with a dog she doesn't really want. She'd not be the first.

You don't need a big dog to get something good to train. There are lots of small breeds that do really well at obedience. Papillons, Shelties, Poodles, Corgis... lots to choose from.

My brother is probably moving out at the end of the year when he gets back from working he offered for me to move in with him, just depends if he buys or rents i dont want to live in a rental i already have my cat to worry about :rainbowbridge:

You're going to have to leave home at some stage and renting is how most of us start. You'll find renting with small pets far easier. It might pay to keep it in mind.

Another thing to consider - some breeders will think twice about selling a pup to an 18 year old. The next 12-14 years of your life will see a lot of changes. Many many dogs don't get through all those changes with their owners.

If you're planning to travel, how will a dog fit into that? If your parents are your fallback then their wishes need to be factored in breed wise.

Is she subborn about you getting a dog in general

She doesnt want me to get a dog for some unknown reason, even if its for my career and even if i have a job and pay for everything myself, she confuses me. Her first excuse was *i dont have the money for another dog* and i said what if i get a job and she still said no :S its not that she doesnt think i will be able to look after it. I think she is worried because ive always wanted a german shepherd it will be aggressive (mum was bitten when she was younger by a german shepherd). I try to tell her 90% of german shepherds arent like this in good hands but she refuses i also have suggested other breeds and she wont budge. I really want to do this course next year, i called them and they said to be successful i need a dog. I have max but he is like 16yrs old and i dont want to put any pressure on him. I just want a younger dog doesnt have to be a puppy i just want one that is still willing to learn and focused.

She isnt against rescues at all thats where we got max from :rainbowbridge:

I am a mum, and we get pets on my terms, not my kids terms. Fortunately I love animals and we have a lot of them, but I am well aware of the damage they can do, the havoc they can create and the sheer amount of mess they can make. There is no way in the world I would have animals here that were not of my choosing. Three of my kids have grown up and left home, one has two very much loved dogs of his own, one would like a dog but can't have one where she lives and the other one wants a dog one day but not right now. The one who lives here (aged almost 17) gets to share my dogs, cats and chooks, she can take a dog to obedience training (and she get to choose whichever dog she wants), she can have one sleeping in her room, she can hang out with all of them or take one to a friends place with her, but ultimately they are my dogs and I am 100% responsible for them.

I can fully understand why someone who isn't a dog lover wouldn't want one living in her house.....they create loads of work for whoever does the housework (mum?), they can devestate a lawn and a garden in just a few days and there are often physical barriers and adjustments need to be made to the home to accommodate the dog.

Probably best to wait til you've grown up, moved out and can have a dog on your own terms and in your own place. Then do the course.

If you're planning to travel, how will a dog fit into that? If your parents are your fallback then their wishes need to be factored in breed wise.

Yeah that's true I will see what she says when i have a job. She likes some big dogs like Dobermans, Belgian shepherds and Ridgebacks. But thats about it haha. :rainbowbridge: My dad on the other hand likes kelpies and cattle dogs but he thinks its not fair on them to live in suburbia.

Yeah that's true I will see what she says when i have a job. She likes some big dogs like Dobermans, Belgian shepherds and Ridgebacks. But thats about it haha. :rainbowbridge: My dad on the other hand likes kelpies and cattle dogs but he thinks its not fair on them to live in suburbia.

As we said the other day, its not where a dog lives that dictates how good a life it has but how its owner cares for it.

Yeah yous are right i guess :cry: im just so impatient :rainbowbridge: waiting since i was 7 for my german shepherd i guess it will come in time :cry:

When I was 11, I had my heart set on an English Setter. My parents were not dog people so it didn't happen.

I left home, moved a lot, got into horses and didn't get my first dog until I was 37 - wish I'd done it sooner but its never too late.

I waited till I owned my own home. I'd recommend that to anyone.

Yeah yous are right i guess :cry: im just so impatient :rainbowbridge: waiting since i was 7 for my german shepherd i guess it will come in time :cry:

When I was 11, I had my heart set on an English Setter. My parents were not dog people so it didn't happen.

I left home, moved a lot, got into horses and didn't get my first dog until I was 37 - wish I'd done it sooner but its never too late.

Sounds a bit like my life - and I agree with PF. I waited till I owned my own home as well (and also until a time when I was settled into my career) and I too would recommend that to anyone as well.

Edited by Erny

Dogperson, I know where your mum is coming from. I'm going through this myself at the moment, but from the perspective of a girl who got a dog whilst living with my parents thinking that I'd move out with dog, it'd be fine.

But as it turns out I need to share in order to rent and my dog has behaviourial issues that aren't really conducive to a happy home environment whilst sharing. She is safer at home with my parents and they are fine with it, BUT I never factored this in.

I have also ran into the problem of my dog being very bonded to my parents' dog - my parents' girl is her only canine friend.

I'll always be around in the same area as my girl, but it's not ideal and not something I want to repeat. I am waiting until I am financially able to rent or buy on my own before ever getting another dog. These are only my own personal guidelines based on my stuff-ups. I hope that my next dog has a solid, good temperament and I will do everything in my power to ensure this, but I will also always be thinking worse case scenario from now on.

Thankfully, my parents are much wiser than me and factored this in way before it was even a blip on my radar...

Sounds a bit like my life - and I agree with PF. I waited till I owned my own home as well (and also until a time when I was settled into my career) and I too would recommend that to anyone as well.

I think this a good idea. One day, hopefully! :cry:

Hopefully if i get this job will know for sure sometime the end of the week, might fill my need of wanting a dog haha playing with like 10 dogs a day should be fine :cry: or could make it worse lol :rainbowbridge:

On some days, you'll wonder why you ever wanted one I reckon. :cry:

Yeah yous are right i guess :) im just so impatient :) waiting since i was 7 for my german shepherd i guess it will come in time :)

Yeah, a bit like myself.

I'd only ever owned a small X breed as a little kid and bought my first purebred Poodle at sixteen when I was working full time...WITH the blessing of the rest of the family.

The important point here is that the WHOLE family has to be on board with any pet that comes into a home.

I continued to have smaller types of dogs when I worked and rented and my next purebreed dog was a Schipperke.

I was a bit peeved when my parents went out and got a German Shepherd because everthing they learnt about dogs they learnt from me. I read so many books and I was the carer, trainer, handler in our family and fortunately they had learnt from me and were able to sucessfully handle a GSD. But I had promised myself I wouldn't get one until I owned my own property.

A few years after my first child was born and I was an "at home" mum I got my first GSD. That was 20 years ago. He was certainly worth the wait.