Boarding Kennels - Emergency Evacuation

Sheilaheel02

In light of recent events and with an impending work trip coming up I thought I would ask the question as to whether the boarding kennels you use has an emergency evacuation plan for the animals (as well as people) or if you own a kennel set up whether you have such a plan?

I've just asked some questions and I think I will now be working on a back up plan for my animals with a couple of friends should a situation arise and I'm not able to get home in time to collect them.

This thread is not to criticise ANY particular establishment or organisation, but rather to encourage some discussion and ideas in advance of any such situation.

S

We most definitely have not only a plan but complete procedures manual, for all occasions, for humans and animals, not just fire or floods, but also for power blackouts and anything else you can imagine.

Some councils now require this type of document be sighted as part of their yearly approval of pet boarding establishments.

in my experience all kennels have an idea of what they will do .

I also now where i live which is a kennel zone (we ourselves run kennels) we have a list of people who can help in called upon & the community here on a number of occasions have banded together to help during fires & evacuations.

One call & the dog world are special people

Many kennels also pay an important part during major events in also taking dogs in where people have to evacuate.

We have over the years taken a number of dogs in the wee hrs as there owners have had to flee fires.

We ourselves every summer have the dog floats ready to go with crates,water bowls,water containers.leads,cool mates etc etc ready packed to just load & go.

Our firs port of call is our dog grounds as we have a massive under cover area so if extremely hot they are shaded plus this is the "normal" emergency area in the dog world so everyone with spare crates & helpers head straight there,after that we have 2 shopping centres,2 schools plus option in other kennel areas (5/10 mins apart).

We have helped with 3 fire evacuates & been on alert for 1.

Fire for us is the main issue

We had major storms lst year & lost power for 3 days but that was easy to deal with .

Our kennels are also very "bad weather" friendly which makes a massive difference

Thanks for bringing this question onto the board OP. I am having to put my boys in kennels for 3 whole days (4 nights) in March and am feeling unhappy about it. I asked the Kennel staff who showed me the property about cyclone procedures and they seem to have a good plan and someone does stay with the dogs throughout the event.

But then I read the fine print on their form and I think I need to call them about a couple of other points, one is the disclaimer for any responsibility that I am supposed to sign, I would have thought that was what I was paying them for, to take responsibility for my precious friends whilst I am unable to do so? Is that unrealistic of me?

The other point that concerned me was the policy on people who may be held up returning, I have no plan to be held up in any way, in fact I think I may well be knocking on their door very early when I get home! But they only allow a short period of time before they 'dispose of the boarder in any manner considered fit...' as I am a single and travelling interstate I shall have to ensure that there is someone who will do something if I should be prevented from getting home in any way.

Is this sort of wording normal? Ihave a motor home and do not usually board my dogs.

Annie

Thanks for bringing this question onto the board OP. I am having to put my boys in kennels for 3 whole days (4 nights) in March and am feeling unhappy about it. I asked the Kennel staff who showed me the property about cyclone procedures and they seem to have a good plan and someone does stay with the dogs throughout the event.

But then I read the fine print on their form and I think I need to call them about a couple of other points, one is the disclaimer for any responsibility that I am supposed to sign, I would have thought that was what I was paying them for, to take responsibility for my precious friends whilst I am unable to do so? Is that unrealistic of me?

The other point that concerned me was the policy on people who may be held up returning, I have no plan to be held up in any way, in fact I think I may well be knocking on their door very early when I get home! But they only allow a short period of time before they 'dispose of the boarder in any manner considered fit...' as I am a single and travelling interstate I shall have to ensure that there is someone who will do something if I should be prevented from getting home in any way.

Is this sort of wording normal? Ihave a motor home and do not usually board my dogs.

Annie

You will find all kennels hold the dog for a short spell.It isn't the kennels responsibility to hold the dog forever.The reality is kennels are a dumping ground for unwanted pets & many have been left with dogs.

We ourselves hung on to a dogs for a number of months with no owner returning .

There is a time for those leaving dogs to also take precautions & also ensure you dates are correct.

We get many people who head overseas stuff up there return dates & we end up with holding a dog for 2/3 days because they don't read there iternary right ,we also get those who decide to extend there holiday & we are suppose to now this.

We also get people who don't always have a complete return date but they are made aware they must keep in contact so we now what is happening( hospital ,house work,fencing down etc etc).

Make sure you have realiable contacts & make sure these people actually now there your contacts & actually willing to assist if phoned.

Turn your phone if you leave your number .

Kennels are very accommodating but owners need to help the cause & if there is a chance you could be held up then contact them.

Most kennels have dealt with people stuck or having to return early.

We have a client who phoned from Egypt to let us now there coming home a month early.

We had 10 dogs last year with owners stuck in London due to the volcanoes ,all phoned.

We have had some stuck in QLD this year .

We had 3 dogs with owners stuck in NY last year due to the airbus.

I myself was stuck 2 extra days east due to the NSW storms affecting my flight out of Victoria,there where over 900 qantas people also affected plus the other airlines so whilst mine wasn't planned it happened.

We get people who refuse to bring there full meds bottle for there dogs & count out the pills needed per day & i have lost count how many times we have had to get emergency supplies because owners seem to think we will pinch there supplies(yep there charged for the stuffing around,we have had 2 diabetic dogs that ran out of insulin due to the issues last year.

It happens more than people think but the kennels would still have to send info to the last known address & show attempts where made to locate the owner & check.

As for a liability/responsibility sheet we also have one of those as should any kennel to now where you stand .

Thanks Showdog, that explains about the situation should I be prevented from getting back to Darwin by the airlines or I get run over by a tram!

I still do not understand the bit about then not taking responsibility for my dogs for any loss or damage caused (to my dogs) whilst in their care-I am paying them to look after the boys, so surely if they lose or create a situation whereby my boys are hurt they do need to take on the responsibility? Is that not what I am paying them to do?

I am confused by that whole statement.

Annie