Maltese Puppy?

~Storm~

As for bowls and collars, I would wait until you have the puppy. It's so difficult to imagine how big the puppy is before you've held it. It's not going to need a collar for the first few days, as you can't walk it before it's had the last vaccination. The only reason you'd need a collar is if you're doing puppy classes. And if you don't get a bowl the first day it's not a big deal, just let puppy eat off a plate or human bowl for a day or two, it doesn't care:)

Speaking from personal experience here, I remember how frustrating it was looking at all those different collars and bowls and not having any idea which size was the right one.

Thanks. I suppose it is easier for me because the Maltese is a toy sized dog and thus there is pretty much one size available, but we have spare bowls and a spare collar when I my last dog was in her puppy stage so I will use them for the time being.

I noticed in one of the early posts here you said something about 'showing dominance over the dog' to avoid small dog syndrome. I just wanted to point out that the whole alpha dominance theory is very outdated,

Really? Do you have some links or references to assert this claim?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but have you thought of adopting a dog from a shelter? There are hundreds of maltese/crosses in the shelters needing a good forever home.

We emailed a couple of dog shelters, but they only had Maltese crosses with shedding mixes. There also doesn't seem to be that many here in Perth.

As for bowls and collars, I would wait until you have the puppy. It's so difficult to imagine how big the puppy is before you've held it. It's not going to need a collar for the first few days, as you can't walk it before it's had the last vaccination. The only reason you'd need a collar is if you're doing puppy classes. And if you don't get a bowl the first day it's not a big deal, just let puppy eat off a plate or human bowl for a day or two, it doesn't care:)

Speaking from personal experience here, I remember how frustrating it was looking at all those different collars and bowls and not having any idea which size was the right one.

Thanks. I suppose it is easier for me because the Maltese is a toy sized dog and thus there is pretty much one size available, but we have spare bowls and a spare collar when I my last dog was in her puppy stage so I will use them for the time being.

I noticed in one of the early posts here you said something about 'showing dominance over the dog' to avoid small dog syndrome. I just wanted to point out that the whole alpha dominance theory is very outdated,

Really? Do you have some links or references to assert this claim?

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/alpha-roll-or-alpha-role

Just a note on Maltese - in my entire career as a groomer I have groomed 3 Maltese. Purebred with papers. Each was absolultely stunning with a great nature, and owned by very different people.

I have groomed countless Maltese x and it's very touch and go as to what the temp is going to be like. Obviously that has a lot to do with the owners and upbringing of the pups as well whatever is in their genetics. I hate how Malts get such a bad rap. I doubt the RSPCA get more than one Maltese through their doors every year :love:

And of course I'm going to tell you that Papillons are amazing dogs too :love: