Cancelled - Classic Dog Show

SwaY

Poor Ava, Shimmer is the same, Her first show in months and now she is home again. :bottom:

like everyone says, the dogs think we are mad, wondering why they sat in the trailer for an hour. Going to give them a reprieve and bath out again tomorrow. Going to the movies instead

Message forwarded from Classic Dog Show Chairperson

Hi Everyone,

It is with regret that we were put into the situation to cancel the Classic Dog Show at around 7.00am this morning (February 5th).

Again the decision wasn’t made lightly; however, the safety of exhibitors, judges, stewards, ticket writers and committee must always be put first.

While the indoor pavilion was high and dry, the roadways around the complex were not. When people started arriving from 6.30am onward the car park in front of the offices was again under water and water was over the Wedge Road entrance. The roadway running parallel with the highway was covered with about 300m of water and was rising. The Classic Show Manager and Chairman (Andrew Burt & Bob Bell) assessed the situation and the decision to cancel was made after chatting with Graham Tracey & John Cassar from the Management committee and a number of committee and exhibitors already on the ground.

Special thanks to Graham Tracey and Janet Davidson who provided great assistance in accessing the office to enable a notice to be immediately placed on the web-site and to those members present who placed notices on ‘Facebook’ for us.

Being one of the last to leave the park, the water had risen considerably; I watched the car in front of me take off and was alarmed to see the water come about halfway up the door as it moved along that section of the roadway parallel to the highway.

Thanks again to everyone for the fabulous entry and your wonderful support and you know all monies collected are going to a very worthy cause.

Sincerely,

BOB BELL

KCC seems to be getting a reputation of it flooding in recent times. My dogs also think I am mad, went for a drive to get there and be told it's cancelled so drove back home again.

Shows being cancelled due to floods is starting to hit my bank account! Fingers crossed rain clears and next weekend goes ahead...

The flooding at KCC has only been happening since the natural drainage points were filled in / closed off / changed. The property didn't have an issue until these things were changed. The major one being the natural flow off from the dam which used to run down the right hand side of the property. It still has to go somewhere and when the natural flow off is interrupted this means the excess water will sit there and then when there is extra rain - like now - it will flood. Whoever made the decision to change this several years ago has alot to answer for.

Do committee's have any recourse against the VCA when this happens ? Imagine if this were a Specialty weekend at KCC and there were 8 + shows running with hundreds of exhibitors from interstate who would have already been here.

I think some serious land management needs to occur and soon.

The flooding at the Park is not something new, previous CEOs and Management Committees were informed that by "altering the lay of the land" by bringing in the fill to the rear of the property would have this affect but they wanted all these exhibition areas, which you cannot use in wet weather.

As with any election process may be it is time that members started voicing their concerns at AGMs and vote in new members during the current election for Management Committee to get things done.

It up to the members!!!!

As for recourse, it was suggested years ago that as each affiliate is a seperate legal entity there may be an opportunity for recourse, but at the end of the day the members will be ones out of pocket.