Savlon

bingo

Hey there , Just wondering if anyone knows whether Savlon would be a viable alternative to Pyohex skin lotion for my pooches pyoderma. I ask as it is a lot more readily available, and also a lot better value. I'm also aware that along with chlorhexadine it also contains cetrimide which is another antibacterial. From doing a breif search on google it appears that as long as you don't put it in their ears cetrimide is also safe to use on dogs, and is also an active ingredient in some dog shampoos. Does anyone know if Savlon is good to use? Or if there are any other similar ointments possibly one with out cetrimide only chlohexadine?

I can't imagine Savlon would hurt applied to skin, there are several first aid creams with chlorhex, all are probably thicker than the lotion. Be aware if it's not an animal product that the dog isn't licking alot of it off and ingesting large amounts.

I wouldn't put anything that thick in ears though, could cause more problems than it would solve.

...and what you might have to ask your vet about is the CARRIER for the active ingredients!! Some are human specific , some animal specific.Whilst the active ingredient may be fine... the carrier may not.

Thanks for the replies here's a list of the other ingredients that Savlon contains: Cetostearyl Alcolhol, Liquid Paraffin, Methylhydroxybenzoate, Propylhydroxybenzoate, Perfume, Purified Water.

Does anyone know whether they too are ok ?