Pet Resume

Esky the husky

Long story short we are in the market for a rental house (yes, again :laugh: )

I've seen pet resumes mentioned before on DOL, but I really have no idea what I'm doing there.

Is anyone able to show me a resume they used for their pet?

What kind of things do you include?

What feedback if any, did you receive from the agents / landlord?

If you've rented before, then a report from your previous landlord stating your pet didn't cause any damage etc to the house would be useful. Also any training courses you have done with your dog and any titles they have. Previous neighbours stating that the dog didn't bark and wasn't a nuisance could be helpful too.

Hi Esky,

I also did Pet Resumes and made it very thorough, I had a lot of people laugh at me for doing it but but we found a great house with a big back yard and the agent told us that her and the landlord were blown away with the pet resumes.

I included dog training certificates, vaccination and health history. I even had my vet write a small report on each pet about their general health. I also included microchip paperwork, desexing paperwork etc.

I also wrote a 1 page report on each pet that gave a general overview on how I care for them, what they require etc etc. I also included a small photo of each of them and put this on their reports.

Hope that helps :D

Mel

Hi there,

I second everything that's already been said, and also suggest offering extra for the bond if you can. It gives the landlord some piece of mind that there is plenty of money there should your dog create any property damage, (which I'm sure he or she won't, in which case you'll get all you money back at the end of the lease :laugh: )

Hi there,

I second everything that's already been said, and also suggest offering extra for the bond if you can. It gives the landlord some piece of mind that there is plenty of money there should your dog create any property damage, (which I'm sure he or she won't, in which case you'll get all you money back at the end of the lease :laugh: )

Pet bonds are not legal to some states.

This is what I wrote and included with a photo. The property was not specifically advertised as pet friendly. I was the only applicant with a dog (and a cat) and there were 6 other applicants.

Boo is a 2 year old purebred dane who came from a registered breeder. He is also microchipped and registered with the council. He is desexed and is treated monthly with a preventative for fleas – this is a preventative, he does not have fleas. He is also vaccinated.

He has a short haired coat which means he is not prone to shedding and he does not get that doggy smell – due to his coat, regular baths and his diet. His nails are clipped weekly.

Like many danes, he likes nothing more than lying in the sun sleeping all day! He is not named after the slothful bear in the Jungle Book for nothing! They are a very low energy breed and his daily walk keeps him more than happy. He is always the centre of my weekend activity too – be it at obedience club or a trip to the beach or a bush walk.

He is a former show dog (in the conformation ring) so is extremely well socialized and is well behaved and obedient. We attend obedience regularly and he is currently in 3rd Class (with 4th Class being the highest) and I hope to do obedience trailing with him in the future as well as return to the conformation ring.

He is a quiet dog and is not prone to barking – he presents as an excellent deterrent on looks alone and this is a benefit for the property. He is not a destructive dog and does not dig.

Boo spends his days outside but will be inside with me when I am home. He is fully house trained and I have never had an accident in the house with him. He has been on the cover of Urban Animal magazine several times.

I am more than happy for a meeting to be arranged so the owners or property manager can meet Boo and satisfy themselves that he will be an excellent tenant and I am an extremely responsible pet owner. My current property manager will also be able to attest that he has not posed any problems for them.

One of my referees, xx will also be able to provide a reference for Boo. xx is extremely knowledgeable in the breed and is responsible for dane rescue in NSW. She knows Boo well – socially and as she does obedience trailing she also assist me with those same skills.

I can also provide references from my vet (xx), a dog trainer who is an obedience instructor from xx Obedience Club and who knows Boo socially and from the boarding kennels I use.