What Do You Define As A Problem Behaviour?

corvus

Personally, I cannot stand the velcro dogs who must literally be touching you all the time. My friend's dog is under you when you go to sit, constantly pushing his head under your arm/hand/foot for a pat. It drives me up the wall.

OMG! That is like our basenji. He drives me insane! Everywhere i go, constantly tripping over him, and he always sneaks into my room when im in here. He knows he's not allowed because as soon as i see him he runs out. He just wont leave me alone. Really ticks me off!

A problem behaviour to me is something that is dangerous - either to the dog or humans.

It may be aggression, escaping, incessant barking.

Things like toilet training, leash pulling etc are training issues and would not phase me too much.

I cannot stand dogs that bark a lot and I would have to have a dog debarked if I couldn't scontrol it via other means as I would end up severly disliking the dog. I have had Dobes who can be DA to a point and I trained my dog to leave and not react however it is something that is ALWAYS in the back of your mind. To me it wasn't an issue if I didn't like it I would have a Dobe, I managed it. Same with small furries and the Whippets I manage my animals so they do not come together.

Human aggression would be something that to me would be a problem - as in unprovoked not in a guarding capacity - I couldn't live with that.

Seperation anxiety to me is an issue and while you can train it I would try to avoid taking on a dog with this issue. I have had a dog with some seperation anxiety and it has improved. I have never had it arise in a pup I have had from a young age.

Having said that most and many behaviours can be managed safely so I guess to a point I would be happy to manage many, but I would not manage unprovoked human aggression.

A problem behaviour to me is something that is dangerous - either to the dog or humans.

It may be aggression, escaping, incessant barking.

Things like toilet training, leash pulling etc are training issues and would not phase me too much.

This is an observation, not a criticism (and I guess reflects part of the problem with defining anything related to behaviour)....

Among veterinary behaviourists, a distinction is made between problem behaviours and behaviour problems.

The things you have described as training issues, would be considered problem behaviours. They are a nuisance and undesirable, but are variations of 'normal' behaviours but expressed in a way that an owner might consider to be 'inappropriate'.

Behaviour problems are those where a response is inappropriate (in the context in which it is expressed), harmful or detrimental or dangerous to the dog itself, or other dogs or humans that might be exposed to it.

(PS. I'm not a veterinary behaviourist by any stretch, but I have done a post grad course in Behavioural Medicine and these discussions are of great interest to me).

I guess the way I look at it is

Training issue no to much of a biggie

Behaviour problem - something hard/very hard to fix. Be it called a problem behaviour or behaviour problem. Which side the problem or behaviour is put I don't really care, means much the same thing to me.

I had typed up a reply and lost it. :) So second try!

Most problem behaviours occur when the dog fails to uphold the owner's expectations, be it jumping up, stealing, inappropriate marking, pulling on leash. Which as mentioned are more training issues and some behaviours bother some people and others aren't worried by them. If we haven't trained our dog what not to do, they are going to fall into behaviours that are more natural for them and this may then cause problems for owners. Problems such as aggression are usually an emotional response to a trigger and management as well as training need to be used. Behavior problems such as spinning, excessive self chewing or licking, or licking of surfaces as some examples may need drug therapy as well as training.