Can Any One Help

royalla

Hi guy's i have a little problem with a rescue koolie that i have here. he and his sister are both 2 1/2 years old and have been on a chain since they where 8 weeks old very rarely let off and never taken off the farm never worked or any time spent on them both have lovely temperaments and are just dieing for some one to love them the sister is good now and no longer hunts for a way out of my yard and just melts into your arms when you pat her the boy also has stopped hunting for a way out but when you try to spend time with him he gets way to excited and starts to hump himself :laugh: i have tried just walking off but he just follows still doing it the only thing that puts a stop to it is to growl at him and a light tap on the ribs but i don't want to have to do this to him .....i have just started to take him to pet manners and he did it there last night while training and as i did not want to give him the light tap he just kept on going.........any ideas anyone as to how to put a stop to his humping

I would try teaching him a behaviour to focus him. Targeting usually works well. It's easy to teach a dog to touch your hand on cue. Then you always have something you can tell them to do that's easy and has a good reward history and it can just give them the structure they need to settle and think.