Carpet Cleaning

Nushie

We have had a few problems over the past few months with toilet training and i think i really need to clean my carpet. I clean up after each mistake (usually only poo) and none recently but we still do have the occasional mistake and i think if i can clean the carpet properly and get rid of any left over smells it will help.

I cant smell anything, and he happily takes himself outside while we are there, but if we leave him inside and go out, and he needs to poo he goes on the carpet (he has a dog door to go outside).

I have been cleaning up each with warm water and white vinegar. But was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what i can use to clean a large area to get rid of anything that may still be lingering and confusing him? I think this is the cause as he always goes in the same area, be it a 3 x 4m area, but considering when he is left in, he has the lounge, dining room, kitchen and hall and he always goes in that one part. He gets locked out with a small area inside the dog door, while we arent home and he seems happy with that, but would like to eventually be able to trust him unsupervised. Thought this is a good step forward and obviously continue on with the training that we are doing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest Labradork

Hi Nushie,

We've just been through the "toilet training" stage (twice in the last 2 years actually) so I've definitely got a handy hint which might make your life a little easier.

You need to get your hands on a bottle of Urine Free or other bio-enzymatic product with similar properties (I think there is also one called Urine Off?). This is the only thing which will break down the invisible enzymes in your dog's urine (the very same enzymes that are used for "marking territory" and which encourage him to go in the same place each time). It's not cheap (~$20 maybe?) but definitely a worthwhile investment and is going to make your life a whole heap easier. It won't stain your carpet and is actually quite pleasantly scented. I don't think Supermarkets stock it, you'll need to try your local pet supplies store or buy online... I usually find Pookinuk or Ebay are the best price-wise.

Obviously if you've seen quite a marked improvement, then you're doing the right thing in terms of training. In fear of telling you what you may already know, all I can suggest/reinforce is to be preemptive (i.e. taking him out after every meal and using your magic word... "wees", "toilet" etc.). If you catch him in the act mid-toilet, don't tell him off, but rather quickly usher him outside to correct the behaviour. Make a big fuss of him whenever he does eliminate outside... treats, praise, the whole deal.

We've tried all the tools, from "pee pads" to "pheremone sticks", but at the end of the day, it was old fashioned training plus the enzyme dissolver that proved the winning combination.

All the best!!!

L :thumbsup:

...You need to get your hands on a bottle of Urine Free or other bio-enzymatic product with similar properties (I think there is also one called Urine Off?). This is the only thing which will break down the invisible enzymes in your dog's urine (the very same enzymes that are used for "marking territory" and which encourage him to go in the same place each time). It's not cheap (~$20 maybe?) but definitely a worthwhile investment and is going to make your life a whole heap easier. It won't stain your carpet and is actually quite pleasantly scented. I don't think Supermarkets stock it, you'll need to try your local pet supplies store or buy online...

I saw this at the pet store the other day and I'm thinking of buying it, but it said it might mark the carpet. Is this just a general warning that keeps the company safe from that rare mishap? Or are these products known to lighten the colour of carpet? Just curious because I rent. I will probably get it and do a test patch on some spare carpet first.

Hi Nushie,

We've just been through the "toilet training" stage (twice in the last 2 years actually) so I've definitely got a handy hint which might make your life a little easier.

You need to get your hands on a bottle of Urine Free or other bio-enzymatic product with similar properties (I think there is also one called Urine Off?). This is the only thing which will break down the invisible enzymes in your dog's urine (the very same enzymes that are used for "marking territory" and which encourage him to go in the same place each time). It's not cheap (~$20 maybe?) but definitely a worthwhile investment and is going to make your life a whole heap easier. It won't stain your carpet and is actually quite pleasantly scented. I don't think Supermarkets stock it, you'll need to try your local pet supplies store or buy online... I usually find Pookinuk or Ebay are the best price-wise.

Obviously if you've seen quite a marked improvement, then you're doing the right thing in terms of training. In fear of telling you what you may already know, all I can suggest/reinforce is to be preemptive (i.e. taking him out after every meal and using your magic word... "wees", "toilet" etc.). If you catch him in the act mid-toilet, don't tell him off, but rather quickly usher him outside to correct the behaviour. Make a big fuss of him whenever he does eliminate outside... treats, praise, the whole deal.

We've tried all the tools, from "pee pads" to "pheremone sticks", but at the end of the day, it was old fashioned training plus the enzyme dissolver that proved the winning combination.

All the best!!!

L :thumbsup:

Thanks for this, so you think if i just use that all over the entire area?

We have been having trouble with the old fashion training methods due to the fact that he only ever goes in the wrong spot if we leave him unsupervised (ie. while we are at work, or if we have a sleep in on a saturday etc.) If we are home he goes outside 100% of the time. We have gotten into a good routine now where he goes at 6:30 when we get up, and he is then allowed to stay in the house unsupervised until my partner gets up at 9am he is then taken for a walk and then locked out in the courtyard while we are at work. Ideally we want him to have access to the house as well while we are out as the courtyard isnt really suitable, so we have a small enclosure on the inside of the dog door with a bed for him to use during the day as there is no shelter in the courtyard. He doesnt usually go during the day, and about an hour after i get home he goes and if not then, definately on our walk. But say on the odd occassion that he doesnt go in the morning and i leave him out after i head to work, he will go on the carpet.

So it is impossible to growl at him when he only does the wrong thing while we are not there. But we praise him like no tomorrow give him treats and love everytime he does the right thing while we are there.

For the moment it is all good, but i really dont like having a pen in the lounge room (just inside the dog door). So i am just going to try as many things as possible.

I will look into the urine off, i am pretty sure i have seen it or something similar at pet barn.

I have heard on another thread that dollers recommend Nature's Miracle. I have bought a bottle to try on old stains. I haven't used it yet but it's believed to be a "Miracle".

As he's going on the carpet, I wouldn't let him have access to it when I can't keep 100% eye on him.

Guest Labradork
I saw this at the pet store the other day and I'm thinking of buying it, but it said it might mark the carpet. Is this just a general warning that keeps the company safe from that rare mishap? Or are these products known to lighten the colour of carpet? Just curious because I rent. I will probably get it and do a test patch on some spare carpet first.

Hey Naomi,

I've used it liberally on bone-coloured carpet and it hasn't marked it at all, but every carpet is different and spot-testing is probably a very good idea. I should also mention that while the smell/enzymes have disappeared in every case, the spray hasn't always managed to completely eradicate the appearance of all of our stains if the matter (i.e. the poop/vomit/wee) has been left for too long afterwards. For example, one of my dogs vomited a very bright orange colour the other week (?!) and I didn't notice it until probably 2 hours following the event, so there is still a little discolouration in the carpet. Nothing I suspect that a steam-clean won't fix. Oh the joys of pets :rofl:

Cheers L :rofl:

Guest Labradork
Thanks for this, so you think if i just use that all over the entire area?

We have been having trouble with the old fashion training methods due to the fact that he only ever goes in the wrong spot if we leave him unsupervised (ie. while we are at work, or if we have a sleep in on a saturday etc.) If we are home he goes outside 100% of the time. We have gotten into a good routine now where he goes at 6:30 when we get up, and he is then allowed to stay in the house unsupervised until my partner gets up at 9am he is then taken for a walk and then locked out in the courtyard while we are at work. Ideally we want him to have access to the house as well while we are out as the courtyard isnt really suitable, so we have a small enclosure on the inside of the dog door with a bed for him to use during the day as there is no shelter in the courtyard. He doesnt usually go during the day, and about an hour after i get home he goes and if not then, definately on our walk. But say on the odd occassion that he doesnt go in the morning and i leave him out after i head to work, he will go on the carpet.

So it is impossible to growl at him when he only does the wrong thing while we are not there. But we praise him like no tomorrow give him treats and love everytime he does the right thing while we are there.

For the moment it is all good, but i really dont like having a pen in the lounge room (just inside the dog door). So i am just going to try as many things as possible.

I will look into the urine off, i am pretty sure i have seen it or something similar at pet barn.

No worries Nushie!

Probably before using over the entire area I'd do the spot test as well - all carpets are different. If you head into Pet Barn or PETStock and are lucky enough to strike a knowledgeable sales assistant, they should be able to give you even more guidance on those products.

I can understand how schedule/lifestyle can play havoc with the traditional training methods. I was lucky enough to have someone at home for the entire time helping to raise the puppy, but this is a pretty rare event. I'd say a combination of time, age and perserverence will get you there :rofl: Sounds like you are really hitting it home with all the praise!!

Best of luck... hope the little accidents become fewer and further between :rofl:

I have also used Urine Off on light colored carpet and had no problems with it (carpet remained the same color). It worked very well. I have also used Bio Zet washing powder (which is meant to have enzymes that neutralises odors) and it has worked as well. It is also cheaper as that is the washing powder I use for laundry and I always have some at home.

As he's going on the carpet, I wouldn't let him have access to it when I can't keep 100% eye on him.

We havent had any problems since we have started this new routine of him being out when we arent home or if he didnt go when we first got up. I just want to make sure the area is clean and doesnt smell like it should be where he should go. So that later we can start leaving him unattended for a short period of time. Its just really hard to judge as we havent had any mistakes (and i mean nothing) while we are home for the past few months.

I have also used Urine Off on light colored carpet and had no problems with it (carpet remained the same color). It worked very well. I have also used Bio Zet washing powder (which is meant to have enzymes that neutralises odors) and it has worked as well. It is also cheaper as that is the washing powder I use for laundry and I always have some at home.

Hi ESCS, How did you use the Bio Zet? Dilute it down and spray it onto the carpet, wait to dry and then vacuum?? Just wondering how you get the powder out fo the carpet afterwards.

Thanks

I dilute the Bio Zet similiar to if I was hand washing clothes (which is not very often!). I sponge the area with the Bio Zet solution first and then sponge it again with clean water. After that, I use either a chamois or paper towels to pat dry the area as much as possible. I haven't noticed any residue. I don't use too much powder and make sure it's all diluted before I wash the carpet. I'm a big fan of Bio Zet as it has saved our carpets and sofas from all the times the kids threw up. They were definitely messier than our tibbie who only had a couple of accidents when toilet training. Our tibbie can be a bit of a chucker and I have used Bio Zet to get rid of the smell.

Urine that is left to dry stains/discolours the carpet, so you need to get to it before it dries, it yellows a cream carpet and bleaches blue carpet from my experience. The urine penetrates to the under felt and carpet backing and seems to leach out, e.g. when it's rewet, even if you think you've got it all out.

I have used Urine Off with no problems at all, but it's best when the accident is fresh. It hasn't discoloured the carpet, I've used it on beige and light blue carpet, as well as dark blue carpet. I always get as much up with paper towels or old cotton towels before applying anything else. The instructions do need to be followed though, I think it mentions saturating the area, so even if it is expensive, it's worth doing it properly. A friend got a bulk pack, of a couple of litres which made it more afordable.

I also use Bissell Pet Stain remover when I shampoo the carpet. I've used it in the hired carpet cleaners and have just borrowed a bissell shampoo machine from a friend.

If there's a fresh accident, and I'm out of the other product, I mix some of the Bissel cleaner in a bucket of water to clean up.

I tend to agree, if they are old stains, you cannot get rid of them.

I have tried Natures Miracle, Bio Zet diluted with water and scrubbed with toothbrush, vinegar and warm water, bi carb and vinegar. It gets rid of the stain but it reappears again within a week because of tracking.

So I think I pretty much have to get rid of the carpet and start again. This was from when Tahli was still toilet training and just took a bit of time with few accidents which sometimes I didn't get in time.

People have also told me I can hire a carpet cleaner but are they just going to keep coming back? can't be bothered. Think I would rather replace the small area instead.

Edited by Adza